Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Camping

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM
  • 23 Replies

Any camping junkies here?!?  Do you use tents, a pop-up, trailer?  We are shopping around for something used.  I'm not ready for the 100% roughing it tent thing lol, but wondering if a pop-up would sleep all 6 of us.  What has been your favorite camping spot so far? 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:43 AM
We tent it :-) We had a 23ft trailer and it was a total hassle....extra gas, slower travel time, maintenance, etc...

We camp 4-5 days at a time, at least 4 times a summer/fall. Where we live camping is literally out the back door. We could camp three miles out our canyon if we wanted...but we choose to go about 22 miles north most of the time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oahoah
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Haven't gone in a couple years but looking forward to it again.  We bought a camper 2 years ago and it was more of a hassle than my hubby anticipated so we only used it 3 times, maybe, before selling it.  This year we are going camping, even if in tents with air mattress for me & hubby! He's looking into a pop-up too but not sure if we'll get one or not.  Our fave camping ground was in Newcastle, CO - we got a spot next to the lake. Normally we are not campground campers, more out in the rough but he had a rock crawling comp. nearby so we just went to the campground.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE camping, but my hubby....not so much lol. So my kids have yet to go. I prefer a tent if I'm camping. My favorite by far tho has been up by my grandpa's property while he was still alive...and not even his property exactly, in Northern WI. He lived along the Manitowish River which connects to a ton of lakes. My dad would drop my friends and I up river a ways so we had to paddle across two lakes to get ot the river, past Grandpa's house, and down a few more lakes before we'd get picked up again. It was a week long trip. The DNR up there maintain camp sites that are free but you have to have hte site cleaned before you leave and you can only stay there for 2 nights max and then move on. We bring whatever can fit into the canoe and what we can comfortably carry with the canoe above our heads because there are two spots where we have to portage the canoes...so not much LOL.

You can kind of see...one cooler in the canoe with my two friends has the drinks. I'm solo in a canoe with the food cooler, the tent, and our tiny backpacks large enough for one change of clothes and sweatshirt and one large bag with an axe, medical kit, and other supplies in case of emergencies. Portaging took about two trips...one for all our crap, and one for the canoes lol.

It's hard to find a map to show exactly what we did, but we started at High Lake, and ended up at Manitowish Lake. Many maps of the Manitowish River are from the Manitowish waters site, and that doesn't show all of what we did...it barely shows Island Lake. Anyway...we did this trip 3 times, a bunch of my friends and I, a different group every time. We had a blast except for the last time when it was FREEZING in mid June yet. ... None of us were prepared for 30 degree night conditions, and one of our members was severely sun burned during the day and had to go to the hospital when we reached my grandpa's! I felt awful... On a different trip with just my dad when I was younger we only used the canoe as a tent...that was an experience!!!

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/masterplanning/documents/mp-nhalmap60-2005.pdf <- this map kinda shows it...It has High Lake labeled NW of Boulder Junction and we ended up in one of the Lakes by Manitowish Waters

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Our favorite spot is Matthew's Arm which is at the northern end of Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Nat'l Park.  We really rough it, campfire cooking, tents (or sometimes just sleeping bags around the fire).

We also like Ohiopyle (Pennsylvania State Park), a campground in Potter's County Pennsylvania.  Sate Parks and National Parks are our favorites, we've found they are often cheaper, closer to things we want to do, and often quieter than the KOAs etc.

Remember to take some Peterson's Guides and use it for your science classes!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM

We haven't gone camping and I haven't been since I was a kid.  

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM
We need to try camping again the last time my younger 2 where just to little for it & I about had a heart attack trying to keep them safe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM
I grew up in a suburb of Pittsburgh! We camped all over the place. Ohiopyle sounds so familiar but I can't remember if we ever went there. We used to have an annual church camping trip to Raccoon State Park. Is that still around?

My dh and I tent camp. We haven't gone for awhile, but now that the baby is almost 3 we want to go again.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Our favorite spot is Matthew's Arm which is at the northern end of Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Nat'l Park.  We really rough it, campfire cooking, tents (or sometimes just sleeping bags around the fire).

We also like Ohiopyle (Pennsylvania State Park), a campground in Potter's County Pennsylvania.  Sate Parks and National Parks are our favorites, we've found they are often cheaper, closer to things we want to do, and often quieter than the KOAs etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM

We've never been there, but it's in the corner by West Virginia isn't it? 

Ohiopyle is all about water, my boys can't wait until they're old enough to do the kayaking and white water rafting there.  And the "water slides" (although they look bumpy and not at all fun to me! LOL).

Quoting Bluecalm:

I grew up in a suburb of Pittsburgh! We camped all over the place. Ohiopyle sounds so familiar but I can't remember if we ever went there. We used to have an annual church camping trip to Raccoon State Park. Is that still around?

My dh and I tent camp. We haven't gone for awhile, but now that the baby is almost 3 we want to go again.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:44 PM

We use a tent.  It is a very large tent so that we have plenty of room to move around and to store our stuff. 

Last year we went twice.  It was the first time we'd gone camping since having kids.  My boys loved it.  They are 14 and are all about fishing.  So, we made sure that where we stayed was right on the lake.  We all had so much fun.  My daughter didn't care much for it, but it was mostly because of the bugs...lol.  She really enjoyed the daytime, it was after dark that she didn't care for. 

We are planning on roughing it just as soon as the weather is ok for camping.  I will probably get someone to keep my daughter at night though since it is right on a creek and it is really really dark there..lol.  i just don't think she could handle it.  We will probably take the boys for their bday in March if the weather permits.

We will go in April and May also, but we will stay in a camping site with power/water.  That is just alot easier when we have my youngest with us.  She loved playing in the lake though. 

I can't wait to go camping this year.  Now, we know a little bit more of what we need.  We went to West Point, GA to camp.  The great thing about this year is that we can go on our schedule instead of the kids' PS school schedule. 

kttycat84
by Bonnie on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM

We love camping. We use tents and sleeping bags and cook over the open fire, the whole deal. My favorite camping spot ever was when I was on a wilderness expedition along the Appalachian Trail when I was a teen. My favorite place I've gone camping since having kids is a small campground in NC that had a really pretty lake.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)