Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Were your friends judgemental about homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post
One of my friends keeps questioning me about if I am still going to homeschool in the fall. Today she asked if I had decided if I was enrolling him in school for the fall. Um, no. She also gave me the names of preschools where I can send my LO. It's getting annoying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
wunderwifey
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM
My friends have been supportive. My family, not so much. :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Nope. Some are curious, but none judge it.

ETA: I live in a fantastic neighborhood and even the neighbors (I am very friendly with all of them) are curious but supportive. One of my neighbors is a retired teacher and she is forever sending old magazines and construction paper my way (by way of my eldest who plays in the neighborhood) for projects.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kimpulliam
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this
My friends weren't. But some family were along with PS teachers. I've found that most negative comments come from those that are ignorant about homeshooling and why families homeschool.as the parent u know ur child better than anyone else
QueenCreole313
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I've had a mix of reactions before I decided to homeschool. I noticed most if the negative comments came from those without children. So I just ignored them. Most of my family and friends who know me and my son were supportive and intrigued that we can actually do it.
QueenCreole313
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I also have several teachers and principals in my family in the public school system. Ironically they all send their kids to private schools.
bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM

My friends are supportive of our homeschooling so far.  We have several friends  that homeschool.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Oh yes. People always ask if we are sending dd to school next year.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Most are open minded and even homeschooling themselves, which I have had a hand in :)
my husbands family talks about us, but our kids are way better behaved and more advanced than theirs so I think they are just jealous they dont do what we do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:17 AM
No. My friends have been very supportive. The ones that haven't just don't discuss it with me rather than argue. They know me well enough to know that once my mind is made up, they're not going to change it. My mom is the one who is most upset about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KLove_Mom
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Some of them are, especially since I'm starting my September birthday twins in Kindergarten right when the are turning 5 and not waiting the extra year.

But no more so than I am that my friends would send their kids to public school and then complain when they don't learn what they should.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)