Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Were your friends judgemental about homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post
One of my friends keeps questioning me about if I am still going to homeschool in the fall. Today she asked if I had decided if I was enrolling him in school for the fall. Um, no. She also gave me the names of preschools where I can send my LO. It's getting annoying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

awww ignore her and do what your gona do!!!

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM

My neighbors are very judgmental.  Some friends are.  I think some people question homeschooling with my family because I have an autistic child and most people think he would benefit from "professional help."  I had him in ps for a short time and  they failed him.  

In general many people are judgemental because as a society we have been conditioned for so long to think  that ps is the best and only way. Most people spent 13-17 years in a system.  They have to change their thinking to realize there is an alternative. 

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Yeah that can be annoying. I have only one friend so far that called home school stupid and said she'd never home school her kids. Out of the blue she said that. There was no reason for it either. I would never criticize her for doing what she does with her children and I ask for the same respect. Needless to say I don't keep in contact with her. It's not worth my time. I don't need someone in my life who has to make fun and pick apart my choices. Some friends I don't see often do ask if I'm still home schooling or ask if I will ever send them back to PS. But I think those are just off the hand questions that everyone seems to ask. 

I'd tell your friend "Thanks for the information but I don't intend on sending the kids back to PS and if I do I'll call for the numbers" If she isn't a close friend then don't worry about it. She probably doesn't know what to say about HSing. Most people are ignorant when it comes to HS.

Quoting Bluecalm:

One of my friends keeps questioning me about if I am still going to homeschool in the fall. Today she asked if I had decided if I was enrolling him in school for the fall. Um, no. She also gave me the names of preschools where I can send my LO. It's getting annoying.

Walnutgrovefarm
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:08 PM

One of my friends just starting homeschooling this year because of all the wonderful things I've been telling her for years. My other friends are very supportive and interested in what we do in our day. Most of our friends are curious about homeschooling, but don't feel they can do it. I would just ignore her comments and if it gets to be too much let her go.

birthymom4
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Yes, my BF even called it a half ass education.
Yet, most of her relatives can hardly read and they went to so called "good schools".

I have yet to come out about making the shift from homeschooler to unschooler.
Mommyfish831
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I haven't told everyone yet.  Right now my family, my close friends and the ladies i just meet in a homeschool group are the only people I have talked to about omeschooling my kids after this year.  They all are nice about it and pretty sypportive.  I just told my sons speech therapist today and its the first time I have gotten a slightly negative response about it.  She didn't say mean things but the things she said kind of made me feel small and insignificant.  I am going to have to get thicker skin lol 

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM
My BFF doesn't have kids at the moment but has told me already she wants me to homeschool them for her, so no problems there lol. It's mostly family that says things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM

All my friends homeschool. LOL My family is another story.

Remarkably, once my dd learned to read, my family members were all so amazed at her progress that they have never questioned it again. My parents were the most unsure and now tell everyone how great homeschooling is.

mslamom2
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM

It seems to me that many mothers find it hard to comprehend why other mothers want to be 'stuck' at home with their children all day when they have the option to send them to school. When I come by these women I try to politely explain why I want to stay home and teach my kids. Maybe someday they will see the fruit of my labor and understand. In the meantime, I am not too concerned what they think. I know why I want to do it and that is enough.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Most of my local friends' kids are in public school.  My friends know that I am doing what I feel is best for my children.  I don't get on them about public school - nor do I say anything negative about it - and they show the same respect for me.  I'm fortunate in that regard

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)