Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How young are your children when you start homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 17 months. Is he too young to homeschool? Or what should I be including in his day. Right now he plays with everthing, including pots and pans, remote controls, and toys - many learning toys, and he can play on my ipad pretty well. He knows how to find his app, and figure out what different swipes do, etc. He can even open youtube and paly videos. He can talk a little. He can't say certain sounds and it seems like he knows so he doesn't really try. He is no parrot, that's for sure (like my friends daughter who's vocabulary is enormous). But I can give him direction and he can do it so he understands. I just want augment all this and don't know how. He can't let me read him a book. 1 to 2 pages into it he closes the book, or keeps turning the pages, etc. I still try to read to him, but I feel like I'm forcing it. He loves to climb right now. Hoping to move this year into the house and I'll be able to make an obstacle course for him outdoors, but for not it's play places like Monkey Buziness.. Any suggestions on what has helped your kids learn new things other than the regular grocery store, and all that stuff (he's with me all the time...).  Thanks!!!

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Children learn all they need through play and interaction with you.  I never began any "school" until ages 6-7 years old.  All but one of mine are now grown :-)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Add me to the "since birth" crowd... however I don't do formal education such as book work and writing until 5-6 yo depending on the child and when they are ready.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:50 AM

At that age we counted as we walked up the stairs, sang lots of number and letter and movement songs.  We also took walks and talked about shapes and colors we saw.  We visited the zoo and had lots of fun.  We colored together and had great fun.  You can have lots of fun doing arts and crafts.  If he will not let your read books read signs you see and talk about the letters on the signs.  He will pick it up. 

At 4 we start sitting down for 30 min and doing a lesson.  We all do circle time now and my 2 year old joins in, if she doesnt want to sit and be quite then I have her leave the room and watch tv on my bed.  But we do circle time which is the Pledge, calendar, weather and a few songs.  Then my 4 year old and 4 year old niece sit down with thier worksheets and we go over them and while they get started I get my 6 and 7 year olds started on thier work, they are pretty independent so I can go back and help the 4 year olds.  My 2 year old loves worksheets so I print them off and she scribbles on them but doesnt really do them nor do I expect her too.  When she is bored with school I set up her room so she can go up there and play with all kinds of fun toys.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:12 AM
We dont do formal lessons until about 3 or 4, & even then it is just including them in calendar, reading stories, doing art painting and drawing. We start at birth, as I am sure most do, talking to them, telling them about their world, playing with them, telling them this is a red circle, you have 10 toes, etc. just learn through living and play at that age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I agree with lots of reading & lots of play. If he's interested in something, then do more with that subject. Example: DS likes penguins so we do pretend play with his Lego penguins, I draw penguins while he colors, we've made penguin puppets, we talk about black & white colors on penguins. He's 22 months now.

I started using letteroftheweek.com around 20 months - it has a you g kids curriculum by months up to age 2 with ideas & a focus. I skipped that because DS knows most of those ideas and we've done a lot of those activities. I use the letter, theme, & shape or color to kind of theme the week - this week it's the letter I, cookies is the theme, and circles is the shape. So today we played with circle shaped stickers, ate a circle shaped cookie, and made circles (not really, he scribbles) with chalk outside. Most days I don't even do that much - but honestly it just give me a focus for the day or week!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ShadowWaters
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I've been teaching them since birth. I give them educational toys, present every day objects to explore, I read to them, set up activities to use their gross/fine motor skills, and talk to them about the objects/colors/numbers/words/etc around them. I've read to them since they were infants. My son sits for the books has since he was 18 months. My daughter doesn't stay for more than a page or two but I read while she plays; she still hears the story. They are now 2.5 yrs old and 1.5yrs old. We sit at the kitchen table and do school for 30-60minutes; 3 times a week. I don't force them to do anything; if they get bored we go do something else. We do crafts, watch short videos about the letter of the week, play educational games, hunt for shapes/colors/letters around the house. They also help me with all the chores and love to cook giving opportunity to add math and science concepts through the day. They like leapfrog videos also. There is no end to the opportunity to introduce ideas and concepts in every day life. They won't be expected to "do" school till they are 5 or 6 years old.

liliem
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM

So no one does flash cards? Or does anyone follow the doman method at all? I did when my little guy was little but I stopped. Wondering if anyone had any luck with that.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM

My 2 year old loves penguins too.  We learn lots about animals that way and she has one for every color of the rainbow.

Mcolinsmommy0:

I agree with lots of reading & lots of play. If he's interested in something, then do more with that subject. Example: DS likes penguins so we do pretend play with his Lego penguins, I draw penguins while he colors, we've made penguin puppets, we talk about black & white colors on penguins. He's 22 months now.

I started using letteroftheweek.com around 20 months - it has a you g kids curriculum by months up to age 2 with ideas & a focus. I skipped that because DS knows most of those ideas and we've done a lot of those activities. I use the letter, theme, & shape or color to kind of theme the week - this week it's the letter I, cookies is the theme, and circles is the shape. So today we played with circle shaped stickers, ate a circle shaped cookie, and made circles (not really, he scribbles) with chalk outside. Most days I don't even do that much - but honestly it just give me a focus for the day or week!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM

He's doing what he should be at this age - he barely older than an infant. Let him play.

We start formally homeschooling between age 3 and 4.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

lucsch
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Formally we started at 4-1/2 yo. Of course, we did a lot of preschool stuff just for fun. I didn't consider it school. Playing is school for little ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN