Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How young are your children when you start homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is 17 months. Is he too young to homeschool? Or what should I be including in his day. Right now he plays with everthing, including pots and pans, remote controls, and toys - many learning toys, and he can play on my ipad pretty well. He knows how to find his app, and figure out what different swipes do, etc. He can even open youtube and paly videos. He can talk a little. He can't say certain sounds and it seems like he knows so he doesn't really try. He is no parrot, that's for sure (like my friends daughter who's vocabulary is enormous). But I can give him direction and he can do it so he understands. I just want augment all this and don't know how. He can't let me read him a book. 1 to 2 pages into it he closes the book, or keeps turning the pages, etc. I still try to read to him, but I feel like I'm forcing it. He loves to climb right now. Hoping to move this year into the house and I'll be able to make an obstacle course for him outdoors, but for not it's play places like Monkey Buziness.. Any suggestions on what has helped your kids learn new things other than the regular grocery store, and all that stuff (he's with me all the time...).  Thanks!!!

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Replies (21-22):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Mine started as newborns ;). Like other moms have said, we teach them lots of things almost immediately. My oldest had no interest in learning academic subjects until she was about 5 where as my little guy by the time he was 1 knew all of his letter sounds and could recognize what sound went to what letter, but he didn't learn the names of those letters til almost 6 months after that. He's 3 now and is learning to read and is speeding through our math curriculum I started him on after Christmas since he was asking to do it. 90% of everything he's learned now has been through play or songs. Even though I have a reading and math curriculum for him, we do it leisurely and probably won't really work at it for at least another year yet, and even then, we'll mostly have fun activites to go with everything we're working on.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM

This is what I do, too. 8) LOL I don't even count it as homeschooling because I hope all other moms do something similar whether they plan on homeschooling or PSing.

Quoting Silverkitty:

I usually don't formally school until 5 or 6.  Between the ages of new born and 2, I'll read.  Between 2 and 4, I usually read and add in educational videos, arts, crafts, and lots of play.  My son is 2, will be 3 this fall, and wants to learn so I'm going to start him slowly with a curriculum of books, math, arts, crafts, and lots of play.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN