Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Science- Help

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM
  • 17 Replies
Ok I've narrowed down my science options to:
Apologia
REAL science odyssey
This would mainly be for my 2nd grader and my K'er will join in also.

Do you have any suggestions? If you've used either, can I get your opinions on it? She is a fast learner and doesn't care for repetitive stuff. I'm looking for something that keeps building from one lesson to the next.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Sorry, I build my own...

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Could you explain how someone would build their own curriculum? I'm new and keep seeing alot of you do. But don't know how or where to start..you can PM if you'd like lol

Quoting KickButtMama:

Sorry, I build my own...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I am currently building my own but this summer we are doing botany and I am using apologia plus a few other books.  My kids decide what area they want to study and then I go looking for books on the topic.  This year we chose Chemistry.  We are focusing on the periodic table and a book called the Story of Chemistry.  It talks about ancient history and chemistry.  I love it because it is interesting and it doubles as history and science reading all into one.  We were reading about ancient history and science and telling the story of Eureka.  We as I was telling my son about how Archemedes was running down the street yelling my son asked me,"Was he naked?". It was so funny that I had to share.  I am using coloring book of the periodic table.  I bought a puzzle of the periodic table and buildable tile kit of the periodic table as well.  We also started our own element box.  I find fun experiments to go along with what we are reading.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:54 AM

They are both great curriculums but I would add living books to them.  I prefer the idea of having our kids in the habit of reading on science.  Something I love to model for them.  I am currently reading a book on Antoine Lavoisier. I just found and awesome book called 21activities for kids Albert Einstein and relativity.  I love the thought experiments they have in the book.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM

bingo verb

jeopardy nouns

movements verbs where you have to move to make the verbs

leapfrog movies

grammar rock c.d.

school house rock D.V.D.

Doing to Dollar Store having putting up letters and colors and shapes and numbers around the house see if they can find them find puzzles with numbers shapes letters colors spelling words for that week and have then find them pick a letter for that week find different books toys that start with it around the house look in a book and see if they can find that letters. Reading them books having them doing the movements. Find objects see if they can put it over and under ect. Write their names on different things besides paper like chalkboard I put a poster board on wall and had them to write their names on it. drawing paper all ways music: ABC's and 123s colors shapes. I using have them never sitting down till school is over we bake cakes cookies make jello pudding.

Good luck!!!!

that is next year for my twins are going in to kindergarten.

http://www.havefunteaching.com/

what do your child or children want to learn about in science and what do you want to teach them for science.

Bill Nye Science

Magic School Bus movies I am working on having this all this summer.

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM
I will be using Mr. Qs Life Science. Its free, so thats a plus ( not really, because printing will cost) but I love the looks of it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM

http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=Build+your+own+curriculum

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Could you explain how someone would build their own curriculum? I'm new and keep seeing alot of you do. But don't know how or where to start..you can PM if you'd like lol

Quoting KickButtMama:

Sorry, I build my own...

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Walnutgrovefarm
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Last year we did Apologia and loved it. We tried something different this year, but will be going back to Apologia again next year. I let ds pick what interests him and we go from there. I also add a little of my own curriculum by studying famous people of science and researching.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I write my own curriculum. but i will also utilize an older science book as guidance for our lessons. I also find things online that line up with what we are interested in. I will also have the kids do research reports.  I used to worry that when my older kids were younger, they weren't learning enough science. HA! That was a waste of emotional thought as they are learning whatever they can learn as fast as they can learn it.  We have so much science going on right now that I think we eat, sleep and play science for a living.  lol 

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I have never used any of those but have heard only positive things about Apologia.  One of the great things about Apologia is it can be used for multiple grade levels.  I design my own science around my kids interests.  I use World Book grade standards for reference.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)