Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Ok I've narrowed down my science options to:
Apologia
REAL science odyssey
This would mainly be for my 2nd grader and my K'er will join in also.

Do you have any suggestions? If you've used either, can I get your opinions on it? She is a fast learner and doesn't care for repetitive stuff. I'm looking for something that keeps building from one lesson to the next.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Replies (11-17):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM
I get Science in a Nutshell boxes for the materials and pair them with library books,and/or mythbusters and other science shows.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:37 PM

This is a great idea!!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I get Science in a Nutshell boxes for the materials and pair them with library books,and/or mythbusters and other science shows.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM

The Science in a  Nutshell kits are moderately expensive at $40 a box. However, each box has all the materials for three students. They include supplies, activity journals and the setup guide. We really like them. When I tried to order all the parts seperately for my three, it was a LOT MORE $$.

They are geared for Upper Elementary - Grades 3-6 but it was NO problem to explain it in younger terms for my DD. We first used them when my oldest was in 6th, middle was 4th and DD was 1st.  and she never had a problem with the materials.

Quoting irvinehiker:

This is a great idea!!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I only have 2 kiddos, but could make it work.  Maybe invite another hs student to join us.  Is there only one experiment per box?  Where do you find them?

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

The Science in a  Nutshell kits are moderately expensive at $40 a box. However, each box has all the materials for three students. They include supplies, activity journals and the setup guide. We really like them. When I tried to order all the parts seperately for my three, it was a LOT MORE $$.

They are geared for Upper Elementary - Grades 3-6 but it was NO problem to explain it in younger terms for my DD. We first used them when my oldest was in 6th, middle was 4th and DD was 1st.  and she never had a problem with the materials.

Quoting irvinehiker:

This is a great idea!!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM

There are usually 8 - 12 experiments on one topic per box :)

Now that my oldest is in high school, I sometimes have a friend's Ds, who's autistic, do them with us because  ido tutoring/respite care for him. He really likes it. 

Here is the link to their site

We have done:

Is it alive - and grown brine shrimp

Seperate boxes for Solids, Liquids and gasses, including making our own clouds

Weather - building a weather station

The next one I want to do is "clever Levers" al labout force and leverage....

Quoting irvinehiker:

I only have 2 kiddos, but could make it work.  Maybe invite another hs student to join us.  Is there only one experiment per box?  Where do you find them?

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Quoting irvinehiker:

This is a great idea!!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM

OK. I'm sold!  I'll be working it into the budget for next month. :)

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

There are usually 8 - 12 experiments on one topic per box :)

Now that my oldest is in high school, I sometimes have a friend's Ds, who's autistic, do them with us because  ido tutoring/respite care for him. He really likes it. 

Here is the link to their site

We have done:

Is it alive - and grown brine shrimp

Seperate boxes for Solids, Liquids and gasses, including making our own clouds

Weather - building a weather station

The next one I want to do is "clever Levers" al labout force and leverage....

Quoting irvinehiker:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Quoting irvinehiker:

This is a great idea!!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Quoting jen2150:

I am currently building my own but this summer we are doing botany and I am using apologia plus a few other books.  My kids decide what area they want to study and then I go looking for books on the topic.  This year we chose Chemistry.  We are focusing on the periodic table and a book called the Story of Chemistry.  It talks about ancient history and chemistry.  I love it because it is interesting and it doubles as history and science reading all into one.  We were reading about ancient history and science and telling the story of Eureka.  We as I was telling my son about how Archemedes was running down the street yelling my son asked me,"Was he naked?". It was so funny that I had to share.  I am using coloring book of the periodic table.  I bought a puzzle of the periodic table and buildable tile kit of the periodic table as well.  We also started our own element box.  I find fun experiments to go along with what we are reading.

I am goingto be working on my own as well. My children all ready giving me ideas. My children want more hands on things so I went to the library to help as well.
Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)