Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
This week in homeschooling

So this week I've tried some new things with my son with regards to our homeschool.

1. Adding music-- I read an article on additudemag.com which explored the benefits of music therapy and ADHD. (Even without ADHD i think music therapy is awesome!) I let my so listen to music (piano) while he did his independent work (workbook and test online). He said it helped him focus. I could tell also just by watching him. I did not have to remind him to focus once. This is a big deal!!

2. Strategic Thinking course--A friend of mine hosts a local Pokemon league and has been trying to get my son to join. After he found out he was homeschooled he started to pitch the idea as a course in strategic thinking. So we went to see what it was all about. Needless to say we loved it! My son loved to he around other little geeky kids who are interested in all the things he is into and I loved the socialization and strategic thinking skills needed to play the game! Win win!

3. Field Trips! So I've decided to do one field trip per month. I was trying to keep it a secret from the kid but he got it out of me. He's very virtual and active so I think I creasing our field trip count will be education but still fun! This month: The African American Art Museum in Philadelphia.

What's going on in your homeschool this week?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:45 PM
The music thing is interesting! I might have to try that :)
TxMommyOfBoys
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM

We have been off for 3 weeks. I has surgery so we took 2 weeks off, and then we did school last Monday & Monday evening I got very traumatic news, and I was in a rut all week. My boys actually spent 2 nights with friends. We are getting back to it this week though! I'm moving on! :D

ElisabethCHale
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I'm defintely going to try adding music. Any suggestions of what type of music? My son has ADHD, I've been looking for things to try with him while at homeschooling. 

KymberleeAnn
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:17 AM

This week we will be finishing up our multiplication table

Creating picture stories based off of different nouns

Tons of reading and writing projects

Completion of independent worksheets

Playing with musical instruments singing songs

Outdoor activities

Field trip Friday to a Zoo in NY.

KymberleeAnn
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I like the website that you posted I will look into that.

Thank you for sharing.

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:49 AM
I read classical helped. I asked my son he just said something soothing. They also sell CDs on Anazon designed to increase concentration.i just played an online radio station. Let me know how it goes.

Quoting ElisabethCHale:

I'm defintely going to try adding music. Any suggestions of what type of music? My son has ADHD, I've been looking for things to try with him while at homeschooling. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Sunday:  Lego kid fest

Monday: 4H meeting  learning about winter tree identification

Tuesday:  One of our weekly co-ops

Wednesday: Snow tubing

Thursday:  homeschool class at a local campground on gastronomy

Friday:  Last class at co-op on creative writing

I usually schedule 2-3 days at home but somethings got cancelled and everything just happened to get scheduled this week.  We aren't meeting up till next month for our US history class that I am doing with two other families but I just got US trail guide and am very excited to start it.  This week because of our schedule we are going to be doing a lot of reading and relaxing when we can find the time.  We are reading George Washington's socks and the story of Chemistry.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:03 AM
We are reviewing mostly this week. I need to call about our greenhouse field trip.
Sounds like you have some awesome things going on!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Language Arts: Finishing up Comma then working on the end points

Math-Review- area surface of circle (we worked on a little bit surface area of a heart) Quiz on Tuesday. Line Segments.

Science: working on plants any ideas I are planting plants on Wednesday to see how they grow and talk about them as they grow Watching two movies about Plants as well.

Then finish engery  doing a project and taking a quiz over that before plants

Reading: We are going to read stories about them President Obama for President Day then work on William Powell Malcolm  X and Martin Luther King Jr. then President George Washington

Social Studies: this week we are going to talk about President Obama for President Day (watch a movie on President Obama) then work on William Powell Malcolm  X and Martin Luther King Jr. then President George Washington because his birthday is Friday.

Writing: Writing a paper on their grand parents sisters or brothers (their grand aunties and grand uncles) next work on paper on their great great parents from what their great grandparents told them and stories.  

JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Where are you doing a greenhouse field trip? I'm always looking for new ideas in the area. :)

Quoting Boobah:

We are reviewing mostly this week. I need to call about our greenhouse field trip.
Sounds like you have some awesome things going on!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)