Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dolch Sight Words- Yay or Nay?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 25 Replies

I was nay and now I'm a yay because memorizing them is really helping Cole with reading speed. What say you?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Yay, kind of.  We use Eggy Words (an app) for my middle boy.  He was having such trouble "seeing" groups of letters, so he was very slow!  Sounding out every single word and every single letter of every word frustrated him.  So now that there are words he "just knows" he's getting faster and he's pointing them out in the bigger books we read together.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

It really depends on the kid.  Some kids learn best by seeing the word. others do best with phonics.  I had one that started reading by sight only.  I thought he would never learn phonics, but he did.  

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Nay for us.

We did books with lot s of "high frequency words" but I never specifically taught sight words.

snazzylady1
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I say yes, yes, yes!  High frequency words are in everything and there are so many of them that can't be sounded out but need to be memorized.  When I taught them I always taught them within the context of a story or sentence.  Sometimes in isolation but not often.  The reason is because they will learn it in isolation and not recognize it in a sentence.   They have Dolch Sight words starting with the pre-primer list and they go by grade level after that.  You can get them online. 

Tonya Simmons

smartandsnazzykids.com

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:26 PM

We read them in a list, then write the ones Cole missed and then he sees them when he reads. They are in trouble.

Quoting snazzylady1:

I say yes, yes, yes!  High frequency words are in everything and there are so many of them that can't be sounded out but need to be memorized.  When I taught them I always taught them within the context of a story or sentence.  Sometimes in isolation but not often.  The reason is because they will learn it in isolation and not recognize it in a sentence.   They have Dolch Sight words starting with the pre-primer list and they go by grade level after that.  You can get them online. 

Tonya Simmons

smartandsnazzykids.com

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

thank youI just downloaded this for Cole!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yay, kind of.  We use Eggy Words (an app) for my middle boy.  He was having such trouble "seeing" groups of letters, so he was very slow!  Sounding out every single word and every single letter of every word frustrated him.  So now that there are words he "just knows" he's getting faster and he's pointing them out in the bigger books we read together.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM

you're welcome!  hope he loves it like levi does!

Quoting mem82:

thank youI just downloaded this for Cole!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM

My ds hasn't done well with sight words. He learned a few, but it was tedious and he hated it. He definitely does better with phonics...

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:35 PM

The problem with phonics is sight words aren't phonically correct which is why I moved towards the sight words in addition to phoincs.

Quoting JuicyRedTomato:

My ds hasn't done well with sight words. He learned a few, but it was tedious and he hated it. He definitely does better with phonics...

collinsmommy0
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Yay except for the weird old ones that aren't used anymore!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)