Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Dolch Sight Words- Yay or Nay?

Posted by   + Show Post

I was nay and now I'm a yay because memorizing them is really helping Cole with reading speed. What say you?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
LoveTragedyFun
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I used sight words in combo with phonics

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I would say nay and yay would all depend on how they are learning or memorizing.  Once it becomes boring or not any fun then the teaching loses its purpose.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM

That's what I'm trying now.

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

I used sight words in combo with phonics

Mommyfish831
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I am trying to figure this out right now.  My daughter is doing sight words right now in kindergarten, we will be homeschooling after this year and I want to try phonics but she's already learning sight words.  I have read that going from sight words to phonics can be difficult and frustrating for most children.  

Also after reading some other comments I might try to just fit some phonics in with the sight words.  She is definitely the type that doesn't really want to take the time to sound words out.

lucsch
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I think teaching the words and having the child memorize them, along using with a good phonics program is the best way to teach reading. It worked very well for us.

I feel it gives the child a jump start. After all, we all read by sight eventually until we hit a word we've never seen. Then, we use our phonics to sound it out. We add it to our own personal sight word list after that.

The mistake is teaching reading ONLY by sight. Without the tools to sound new words out, the child gets lost very quickly. So, phonics is a must.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

We use Hooked on Phonics which uses the Sight Words in addition to teaching the phonics.  Most people use both.  Using only sight words is called "Whole Language Learning"  and isn't very typical anymore.  Moving from whole language to phonics doesn't have to be difficult or frustrating as long as you make sure that you are not repeating too many lessons and you are not skipping any lessons.  As long as she knows all the letter sounds you can start right in with teaching the phonics blends and the sounds that h makes happen (sh, th, ch, wh etc).

The frustration usually comes in when teachers try to take the child back to the very beginning and start again or they expect the child to know the digraphs (sh, th) because they know the sight words that use those letters (the, they, when, etc).  whichever you choose, she'll be fine.  :-)

Quoting Mommyfish831:

I am trying to figure this out right now.  My daughter is doing sight words right now in kindergarten, we will be homeschooling after this year and I want to try phonics but she's already learning sight words.  I have read that going from sight words to phonics can be difficult and frustrating for most children.  

Also after reading some other comments I might try to just fit some phonics in with the sight words.  She is definitely the type that doesn't really want to take the time to sound words out.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I had to go back and teach my oldest daughter phonics after pulling her out of PS after first grade. Welcome to homeschooling! 8)

Quoting Mommyfish831:

Mommyfish831
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Thank you, I have looked at buying the phonics set but I haven't actually gotten to look at what's in it.  She is doing very well in reading at school I am just worried about how well I am going to do with teaching her.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We use Hooked on Phonics which uses the Sight Words in addition to teaching the phonics.  Most people use both.  Using only sight words is called "Whole Language Learning"  and isn't very typical anymore.  Moving from whole language to phonics doesn't have to be difficult or frustrating as long as you make sure that you are not repeating too many lessons and you are not skipping any lessons.  As long as she knows all the letter sounds you can start right in with teaching the phonics blends and the sounds that h makes happen (sh, th, ch, wh etc).

The frustration usually comes in when teachers try to take the child back to the very beginning and start again or they expect the child to know the digraphs (sh, th) because they know the sight words that use those letters (the, they, when, etc).  whichever you choose, she'll be fine.  :-)

Quoting Mommyfish831:

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:14 PM

yay. My son loves to work with them.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

We bought the big boxed set 4 or 5 years ago and we love it.  It has a ( pretty boring) workbook, but even the workbook has some really cute little cartoon-like strips in it for practicing reading.  It has cd's that go through step-by-step what to do if you want that kind of instruction or you can just follow along in the workbook and read the HOP books (little readers) as they come up.  We always end on either a book or a comic strip as a reward for going through the practice pages, building words, and sight word ladders they do.  When they read a book, you can put a sticker on the "pathway" poster that comes with the set.  It's set up like a game board, and the boys loved it.

You will do just fine teaching her, you are already looking into your options for next year!  That's great!

Quoting Mommyfish831:

Thank you, I have looked at buying the phonics set but I haven't actually gotten to look at what's in it.  She is doing very well in reading at school I am just worried about how well I am going to do with teaching her.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Mommyfish831:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)