Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Handwriting Curriculum Advice

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have two sons, 5(k) and 7(2nd), that have horrific handwriting. My 2nd grader was in public school up until this year and I feel like I am undoing a lot of negative techniques. My 5 year old is starting fresh, but not picking up on just copying the letters. What programs have worked for y'all? I have mainly been looking at Handwriting Without Tears and A Reason for Handwriting, but I cannot make up my mind. Any advice?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I looked at HWOT and I wasn't impressed.  I haven't heard of a A Reason for Handwritting.  We are currently using ABeka.  My girls are writting cursive and doing well (K and 1st).  I know it is difficult to find a program that will work.

Good luck!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Well, as I don't use any bought curriculums I am not a help to you there, but, I think I can give you some advice for this anyways.  What I have done to improve my kids' handwriting is, I had them learn cursive handwriting. They still wrote in print but they had to know cursive handwriting and be proficient in it as well.  Well, that seemed to help them in their printing abilities way more than I expected.  Maybe, you could try this before you buy something. Just a thought. :) 

2boysmama84
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:28 PM

We are currently using Horizons, but there just isn't enough extra practice on the letters. I am at a loss right now.

2boysmama84
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Honestly, my handwriting is not the best so I'm scared that I would hurt them instead of helping them! Did you use print-outs or did you use blank paper?

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Drawing, tracing & using scissors will help because it is all about the motor skills. Here are some links that might be helpful to you

http://www.ot-mom-learning-activities.com/fine-motor-activities.html

http://learningdisabilities.about.com/b/2008/07/21/build-fine-motor-and-writing-skills.htm

http://www.educlime.com/wharemosk.html

oredeb
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:45 PM

well what worked for me was learning itlalic handwriting for the kids,

my son won best handwriting prize and the girls had nice handwriting

Getty-Dubay Italic Handwriting Series

heres some samples  http://www.cep.pdx.edu/titles/italic_series/excerpts.shtml

can be bought used as a cheaper price!

2boysmama84
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I saw that one yesterday on the Sonlight website. I like that it has the three lines instead of two. I'm worried that the two-line approach might get confusing for my sons since all of their other workbooks have three. I'll have to look further into that curriculum.

MamaDearie
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I LOVE A Reason for Handwriting and can't stand HWOT. The school distrtict here uses HWOT. It has sooooo many components and it seems to overcomplicate the whole process trremendously. My DS suffered with it for years and now that he writes the way he wants to, he has beautiful handwriting. I've been using A Reason fro Handwriting with my 4 1/2 y/o DD and she is loving it! Short, sweet, to the point, and developmentally appropriate sequencing. We've like it so much that I'm now considering A Reason for Spelling and A Reason for Reading as she gets a bit older.

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Quoting 2boysmama84:

I saw that one yesterday on the Sonlight website. I like that it has the three lines instead of two. I'm worried that the two-line approach might get confusing for my sons since all of their other workbooks have three. I'll have to look further into that curriculum.

The two lines really bothered my middle boy this year.  He really needed that third line to help with letter sizing.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:59 PM

My oldest used to have very nice handwriting but it's slowly getting worse. She tries to write fast to get done and ends up having to rewrite everything. I always have to remind her to write slow and take her time or she'll have to redo everything. I'm not sure if I should get some kind of program to help both my girls. I'll have to look into the links on here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN