Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to group and homeschool

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 9 Replies

hello, I am Christina I have a 4 yo and 9 month old DD who we have decided to homeschool. Since I am brand new to this I would love any suggestions and ideas of where to start. My 4yo Lucy is already off to a great start with her alphabet, writing her letters and counting. She is very independent and works on her workbooks and starfall.com on her own. We live in Northern Nevada and am excited to get to know you all and share ideas! 

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

welcome christina!!! great decision you've both made!!!!

sounds like lucy is having some fun learning!! yea!!

one thing i also do with my younger kids is arts and crafts lots of em! they learn so much doing them, they start pretty young, as soon as they can hold a crayon! its seems to help them when they learn how to do handwriting also, we also do memorizing, learning songs, dancing, playing, i always read to them(even when they are older!) we love to go outside and draw(to the best of our ability!) bugs, trees, the sky, grass, etc, they paint, with fingers and paint brushes, love mixing up food in the bowls and kneeding bread, lots of hands on stuff!

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
WELCOME!!!!!

First, check with the www.hslda.org for your State Laws. Are you in northwest or northeast Nevada? I am not all that far from the Idaho Nevada Border :-)

My 4 year old is loving the Memoria Press Jr. Kindergarten program. Its a lot of fun and worth a look.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Welcome!

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome! You've come to the right place!

I second BramblePatch.

Ruthmom802
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Sounds like your daughter is doing just fine. Sounds like she is eager to be involved with homeschooling also. If starfall.com is working for you, then stick with it. If you desire to, go to a homeschool co-op in your area and get advice from other moms you trust.

If you want to, check out- Educating the Whole Hearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson and also- For the Love of Learning by Jenny Sockey... A Charlotte Mason Companion works good for me. It's written by Karen Adreola. Your local library may have these already. See if they have a Home School section as well. The rest you can google or look up online. The more I read, the more I understand about the different options to homeschooling out there.

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Welcome!

mrs.hartman12
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Thank you. We live near Carson city so closer to California. I looked at the website thank you.

Quoting BramblePatch:

WELCOME!!!!!

First, check with the www.hslda.org for your State Laws. Are you in northwest or northeast Nevada? I am not all that far from the Idaho Nevada Border :-)

My 4 year old is loving the Memoria Press Jr. Kindergarten program. Its a lot of fun and worth a look.

mrs.hartman12
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Thank you! She definitely does crafts and has an interest in cooking. Thank you for extra ideas.

Quoting oredeb:

welcome christina!!! great decision you've both made!!!!

sounds like lucy is having some fun learning!! yea!!

one thing i also do with my younger kids is arts and crafts lots of em! they learn so much doing them, they start pretty young, as soon as they can hold a crayon! its seems to help them when they learn how to do handwriting also, we also do memorizing, learning songs, dancing, playing, i always read to them(even when they are older!) we love to go outside and draw(to the best of our ability!) bugs, trees, the sky, grass, etc, they paint, with fingers and paint brushes, love mixing up food in the bowls and kneeding bread, lots of hands on stuff!

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Welcome mrs.hartman12,

The follwoing should help , but you should not have to worry about state laws until next year. 

How To Home School ( gives the basics)

How To Home School (more in depth, providing methods, grade level requirements, and much more)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)