Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Ok, our original plan was to let the girls finish this school year in public schools (Til may) and start homeschooling this fall. But my youngest daughter is STILL not being corrected on spelling her name (at home she does it perfect, but every paper I get from school says Maison. Instead of madison) my oldest came home yesterday calling her brother a "dork turd" I'm like where did you learn that? She said her PE coach calls them dork turds when they don't do it right or when they don't listen. I'm really tired of them putting up with that..I'm really wanting to pull them out now instead of later. Have any of you done that? How did the kids adjust? Mine know we are homeschooling next year. If we do pull them now, would you start their curriculum (now) for next year? Or keep them with stuff they are doing in their current grade?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Wonderful! 

Quoting gacgbaker:

We did that this year.  My kids adjusted really well to it- we make a huge effort to keep in touch with their friends and their teachers have even allowed them to participate in some activities at the school to help ease the transition (Valentines party etc)- we take them to the school events that are open to the public as well.  This was a small private school, so a public school might be different.  I am continuing them on the curriculum they had in school for now (with a few adjustments of my own).  It seems to be working well.  I know this is a tough decision, but I was encouraged by many moms I look up to that while kids might have a hard time adjusting at first, they can adjust and if you are working with them through it all, it's a great thing for them to learn.  

Good luck with this decision!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:49 PM

You don't have to invite the whole class. Have a hand written note ready to hand to one of your child's friends after school that is addressed to the parents as well and ask that friend to give it to their parents and ask them about their child visiting over at your house or at the park or the library for some play dates and such.  

Quoting CowgirlMama0508:

Idk how I would get their parents contact info. The school won't give any info out and to send something, I have to send it to her entire class

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I wanted to add that I think you should make sure that your kids still see the friends that they made is PS. My daughter went to kindergarten and I never sent her back. My oldest went until 3rd grade. They both see all the friends they had made when they were there. I make sure they have play dates and I invite the kids to birthday parties too. 

2boysmama84
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 4:17 PM
1 mom liked this

This is almost exactly what I did. My oldest son was having so many issues at school that he just wasn't himself anymore. Then I saw the same pattern starting with my youngest. I pulled them out at the beginning of October. I think my biggest mistake was that I jumped right into the school work and didn't give us any time to learn what we were doing. I wish I would've taken more time to just go to museums and decompress a bit.

Walnutgrovefarm
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Many years ago my then 4th grade ds was having problems with peers and a teacher that was absent from what was going on. We pulled him out mid year and the principle was awsome about it. She gave me all the books he was using and we finished out the school year at home. It was the best decision we ever made for him and he tells us that now. He is in college now. He did go back to ps because he wanted to and felt more confident in himself. Years later we had a tagalong child and we learned our lesson and are homeschooling him and have never regreted it. Good luck with your decision.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Make sure you check with the district and see what their policy is.  We took our oldest out in January and the district requires 14 days notice before the date that you intend to start homeschooling.  After talking to them, they granted our request quick as can be and made the date effective the first time my husband spoke with them.  Just make sure you get it all done the right way.  :)

ElisabethCHale
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I pulled my child out two weeks ago. He loves it. At this point, I'm getting the feel on what he can do and going with the flow.

serendipitykdk
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I cannot thank you enough for sharing this...we pulled out at Christmas Break and I've been alternating between joy and abject fear in trying to find something that works for my daughter...knowing that she needed time to heal/transition from her experiences in PS...again...THANK YOU...this is exactly what I needed to hear and so very true.

bow down

Quoting usmom3:

One of the first things that I tell all new & prospective homeschoolers is to deschool for at least one month for every year in a public or privet school to help them & their children decompress & distress from the school mind!

LilrockerMama
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:35 AM
I pulled my son out mid January this year. We are so much happier.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KirstieRenee
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I want to pull out my kids this year.  Anyone from New York State that has pulled their kids out mid-year and took a few weeks to decompress??  NYS is not a friendly state to homeschool in.  My oldest is in third grade and she has to take a mandatory assesment test this year that scares me.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I pulled my kids out mid-year and we deschooled till the next fall. The kids need the down time to get used to being at home and I needed the time to get to know them thoroughly. Those hours away from home make a dramatic difference. You should follow your instincts. That is key in our family. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN