Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Domain method or flash cards?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 8 Replies

Has anyone here tried the Doman method with their babies toddlers, or flash rads, or anything like that while they were really young? I did when my guy was a baby but I kinda let it go after he started walking. Wanted to know if anyone read the books or tried their methods and succeeded,including flash cards for words and math.

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Nope- I don't do anything formal until they are at least 5-6 yo and then only if they are interested.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM
I have found that at that age letting them be the little explorers & adventurers they naturally are is the best way for them to learn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Nope, I agree with the others- play is really how kids are learning at that age.  

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I agree with everyone else. With me I read A LOT. From the time they were infants I read to them and we still do. We sang and any time we were out and about I'd point out numbers and letters. My oldest, which is 10, is reading at an 8th grade level. She is great speller too! My youngest is not far behind her. 

GELiz
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM

NO, I have never done things like that with my babies- just read lots of picture books and talked to them about the pictures.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:42 PM

We don't do anything like with our kiddos. 8)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 21, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Kids will learn as much as their interests are abounding. At a young age, playing  is a great way to learn. Kids will learn so much through play. Did you have fun teaching your baby how to make sounds? Or how to formulate their first word? Same thing with anything that can be deemed educational.  Because everything that we do is an education of a sort.  From learning how to make sounds, crawl, walk, scoot, brush teeth, hold hands tightly so as not to be afraid, to sleep alone in a big bed, to learning how to eat of a plate, to drinking out of a glass/cup and so on and so forth. Adults learn how to interact with those that annoy the thunder out of them. lol  Education is a never ending process.  

collinsmommy0
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM
No. DS is 21 months & we don't do flash cards. I use the letter, theme, & color or shape from letteroftheweek.com prep curriculum to guide our week if I need it. But DS seems to have learned other letters, colors, & shapes just from playing c
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)