Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you know who Betsy Ross is?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM
  • 18 Replies

Embarrassing moment...

We're making pillows in my co-op sewing class. One student asks me to help her sketch a perfect star. I showed her how to do it (where you draw the side lines of an A then cut across, over and down). She said, "No, a star like Betsy Ross. Do you have a square piece of paper?" As I'm folding/cutting a regular piece of paper into a square, she continues to talk about the shape of Betsy Ross's stars. At some point in our conversation I say, "Betsy Ross... I'm not sure who that is. Oh, you mean the designer?" Thinking the clothing designer Betsey Johnson. Not only am I clueless about American History, but also fashion lol. 

embarrassed

Be honest, do you know offhand who she is? Tell me I'm not the only one!

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

The only reason I know who she is, is because I like history...and we studied about her this year. I bet you most people don't know though!

It's funny when kids tell you something and you have no idea what they are talking about. I love doing that to my husband. I always have my girls tell him what they are learning about. My oldest always gets him. She'll ask him questions and he has no idea the answer. I love showing them off to him! My girls are so smart (just like their Mama, and my husband doesn't think my girls should be home schooled, I think they are learning more here than in PS!!!)

amandae21
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL this same girl has dumbfounded me more than a few times. She's incredibly smart. She also has Aspergers... she doesn't seem to notice that she's embarrassed me. I told her happy late birthday a few weeks ago. She replied with, "Thank you. However, I believe the correct term is belated."

Quoting blueyedbaker:

The only reason I know who she is, is because I like history...and we studied about her this year. I bet you most people don't know though!

It's funny when kids tell you something and you have no idea what they are talking about. I love doing that to my husband. I always have my girls tell him what they are learning about. My oldest always gets him. She'll ask him questions and he has no idea the answer. I love showing them off to him! My girls are so smart (just like their Mama, and my husband doesn't think my girls should be home schooled, I think they are learning more here than in PS!!!)

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Oh that's too funny!

Quoting amandae21:

LOL this same girl has dumbfounded me more than a few times. She's incredibly smart. She also has Aspergers... she doesn't seem to notice that she's embarrassed me. I told her happy late birthday a few weeks ago. She replied with, "Thank you. However, I believe the correct term is belated."

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Ruthmom802
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM

My son just had a lesson on her last week... But you're right, a lot of ppl don't know her either. Don't sweat it...

edelweiss23
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Yes myself and both my girls know who she is. They love history.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momto3infl
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I totally know who she is. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Lol I have known since I was a kid but I was pretty into history. I remember watching a show on her.
gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I do know who she is, but I have totally had those moments of saying "um who???"  Don't worry, we all have been there on one subject or another!

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I do know who she is & I also know that it isn't really known if she made the first flag or not. Read about it here.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:25 PM
I know a little about her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)