Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you know who Betsy Ross is?

Posted by   + Show Post

Embarrassing moment...

We're making pillows in my co-op sewing class. One student asks me to help her sketch a perfect star. I showed her how to do it (where you draw the side lines of an A then cut across, over and down). She said, "No, a star like Betsy Ross. Do you have a square piece of paper?" As I'm folding/cutting a regular piece of paper into a square, she continues to talk about the shape of Betsy Ross's stars. At some point in our conversation I say, "Betsy Ross... I'm not sure who that is. Oh, you mean the designer?" Thinking the clothing designer Betsey Johnson. Not only am I clueless about American History, but also fashion lol. 

embarrassed

Be honest, do you know offhand who she is? Tell me I'm not the only one!

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Replies (11-18):
wunderwifey
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:39 PM

honestly, i thought that she fell into the 'common knowledge' category.

this kid sounds like she'll keep you on your toes!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Yes I do.  She was the one who sewed the very first American Flag.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Yup - I knew off the top of my head. I taught my CubScouts about her years ago when we were learning about hte American Flag.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Yes, I knew right away. BUT, there are many, many historical figures that I'm clueless on. I expect I'll learn as much as DD by 2nd grade.

I also must admit to having no clue how Betsy Ross' stars were different...?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MessedUpMama
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:49 AM

I know about her. I read a book in Elementary School about her, it even had directions on how to cut perfect 5 pointed stars like she did. I can't remember how now though. LOL I was that strange kid who read all the biographies the school library had before the end of 4th grade because I love history.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I kind of remembered. It's just one of those things that doesn't present itself for continuos thought if you never think about the flag and what it means. Don't feel too bad. :) 

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

She is the woman that helped design and sew together the American Flag....I know who she is.

oredeb
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:36 AM

i know who she is, but ive been hsing for a little while! so its come up a lot!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)