Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need to find a good "hands on" Language Arts and Geography/Social Studies curriculum for a first grader.

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM
  • 19 Replies

Suggestions please?

I DO NOT want a religious based curriculum.

Thank you

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JuicyRedTomato
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Bump! I'm always looking for new ideas!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Hands on Language arts - I would sugest All About Spelling/Reading.

Geography we just use maps and atlas to look things up - maybe make our own relief maps out of clay. I haven't done this in ages but have been wanting to do it again.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I'm still looking too, so here's a bump!

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Ring Around The Phonics (4 years old through 6Th  grade) is a language arts  board game / curriculum that is very hands on (Whole Brain Teaching). The static cling letters  make the game very flexible allowing you control  what each child needs to  learn.  You can teach up to 4 children at one time even if they are on different subjects/ levels.

It teaches phonics, reading (early reader books included), phonic blends,  spelling, vocabulary, and the activity cards release energy, and teach comprehension, communication, and listen skille.  It can also be used to teach other language arts subjects.

The kids love it, and get real excited about the gold and blue rings of knowledge that they  crown their character with. 

Precious333
by Julia on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:58 PM
We use story of the world and love it. Ut was written by a catholic woman, but our charted will not pay for anything religious and they paid for this. So far it has not seemed religious. It covers history, geography ans has book suggestions based on what the subjecy is, im sure you can get the books atvthe library. The kids are learning about the egyptians and fertilecrescent and they did their names in heiroglyphics on a paper scroll yesterday. They also colored in a map of egypt, sumer, mesopotamia etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Moving Beyond the Page?
amberstars
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:33 AM

What about getting those DK Eyewitness Books and putting each set of books into a study?  Like for say Religion you can take all those books they have on individual religions and then make a study out of that.  Or if you are starting ancient civilizations you can get the DK Eyewitness books for that and do stuff with those books.  A Trip Around the Wold series you could do for hands on Geography/Social Studies.  They have 4 books.

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

KarynT
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM

We love Story of the World and All About Spelling.  also look into Institute for Excellence In Writing.  It is Fabulous! 

lifesadream83
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Moving beyond the Page, all about spelling
RockEducation
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Since it is for first grade, I would just purchase Evan-Moor workbooks to use for the Language Arts. We didn't start a formal L.A. curriculum until second grade. For the SS/G, I would use living books. Rebecca Rupp's book Home Learning Year by Year gives excellent grade guidelines for what you should be covering and book titles. We always put History/SS together with Geography. Great reinforcement to find the location on your world/U.S. map of whatever you're studying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN