Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

make your own vs. store bought

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM
  • 54 Replies

I'm really into this whole idea of making my own curriculum for free (well not free, minus paper and ink and time) but I'm not sure if it will be that much less expensive. I have 2 girls, one going into 2nd and the other 6th. I just got done printing off a science curriculum for 2nd grade (which looks good) and it has cost about 35 bucks, for ink and paper so far. Now if I bought the book and work book not sure but used it might be about the same. I'll have to look into it to see if it's worth all this time and effort doing the research, trying to find the right worksheets and hoping there is enough to last for the subject. 

Your thoughts...

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I have found that it is cheaper for me to buy the curriculum.  But my ink is 15.00 for black ink and it only prints around 250 pages (using low ink selection).  So it is very expensive for me to print stuff.

I will spend about 150.00 for my daughter's full curriculum and that's using Abeka.  I just buy everything I can on Ebay and Homeschool classifieds.  This has saved me a ton.

I spent/will spend about 350.00 on the boys (they will be in 10th grade), but they are taking Algebra 2 and Geometry next year and they are taking Biology (I bought the Lab DVDs and it was 130.00).  I still saved about 50% of what I would have spent if I had bought everything new.  The only things I am buying new are the test and quiz student books.

I also sell the books from the previous school year, so this helps offset the cost every year.  Out of pocket I probably only spend a total of around 300.00 or less.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM
3 moms liked this

I make my own curriculum but I don't literally make it myself. I buy books and workbooks that I select from amazon at discount rates, use my local library, and borrow from my homeschool community library. I save money by being selective. I can't imagine printing everything.

LongBeachLiz
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM
We use spectrum and just add to it. I got vocab grade 4 on amazon for $9.00.
They sell them at Barnes ans noble too (along with others). Sometimes they have coupons and you can buy with those.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM

My ink is 24 bucks, and it seems to run out quick I haven't watched to see how much each one printed but it isn't much. This year I bought through Amazon. I bought the Harcout/Houghton books and work books but the problem with that is that it doesn't list everything we needed. There were 5 work books that we needed for 1 subject which I didn't know until I got the books, now I can't even find the other work books so I've had to get different ones and now the main book is kind of useless. It has been a pain in the butt. I would like to purchase an all in one curriculum again this year but I just can't find one I like yet...sucks!!

Quoting starbeck96:

I have found that it is cheaper for me to buy the curriculum.  But my ink is 15.00 for black ink and it only prints around 250 pages (using low ink selection).  So it is very expensive for me to print stuff.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM

That's what I did this year I bought through Amazon. I got books and work books. I like the idea of making my own work books from prining but it is going to be the same amount I'm afraid. 

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

I make my own curriculum but I don't literally make it myself. I buy books and workbooks that I select from amazon at discount rates, use my local library, and borrow from my homeschool community library. I save money by being selective. I can't imagine printing everything.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I'v seen them before there but I don't think they go up to 6th grade, do they? 

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

They sell them at Barnes ans noble too (along with others). Sometimes they have coupons and you can buy with those.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I have been using k12 for my older two and making a curriculum for the younger 3 and while it takes a ton more time and I wish I had set it up last year and was ready to just go this year I think it is cheaper but the younger 3 are 2, 4, and 4 so pretty much a prek/k program for them.  I am starting to prep for next year when I will more than likely be homeschooling all of them minus k12.  My husband is a little iffy and we cant afford to buy a curriculum.

I have decided the younger set will basically be doing kindergarten, which I will use my 6 year olds books from this year as a guide and I can print most kinds of worksheets out.  I also have 3 different Phonics curriculums to choose from to work with them so I think they will be good.  This is if we move.  I will not have my niece (4) and my son will probably not go to preschool (he still poops his pants, if he quites then he can go (4)) and I will have my 2 year old who will be 3.

My 6 year old wants to go to a brick and mortar school next year but if we move and the schools are all really bad she will stay home with us.  Her sister is doing a mix of 1st and 2nd grade work this year and had first grade math last year (I dont throw away workbooks) So I am going to use the workbooks to figure out what to teach her next year if we keep her home.

My 7 year old wants to continue to homeschool and is the only one I may need to buy stuff for but everyone has been so helpful giving me information for grammer and I can use IXL if I need to as a basis of what to teach.  I just really need a guide.  So I am probably going to make my own curriculum next year.  I know how to teach most things so my kids get it and if not I can look it up.  But I think it is finding what you want and not secound guessing yourself that saves money.  Oh and not going over board.  I have a very large plastic bin full of workbooks, 3 complete phonics curriculums and 2 science kits along with about 40 othere things for school that are not neccasary and we never use.

LongBeachLiz
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM
I went on amazon and there are a lot for grade 6. They are around $9 or less for each.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I'v seen them before there but I don't think they go up to 6th grade, do they? 

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GELiz
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I am going to do my own speling program. I am not going to do my own Math because I want the worksheets for practice. I will do my own penmanship. I think I will put together my own Social Studies and Science and use books from the library. And we will write about what we read and learn for writing.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that's my problem...second guessing myself. AND I get a head of my self. I print everything off even before I go over because it looks good in the beginning then I end up not using it because it's not complete or something else is wrong then I have all these papers that I have no need for. Eventually I'll find something that works and hopefully I can stick with it for the second child

Quoting debramommyof4:

I have been using k12 for my older two and making a curriculum for the younger 3 and while it takes a ton more time and I wish I had set it up last year and was ready to just go this year I think it is cheaper but the younger 3 are 2, 4, and 4 so pretty much a prek/k program for them.  I am starting to prep for next year when I will more than likely be homeschooling all of them minus k12.  My husband is a little iffy and we cant afford to buy a curriculum.

I have decided the younger set will basically be doing kindergarten, which I will use my 6 year olds books from this year as a guide and I can print most kinds of worksheets out.  I also have 3 different Phonics curriculums to choose from to work with them so I think they will be good.  This is if we move.  I will not have my niece (4) and my son will probably not go to preschool (he still poops his pants, if he quites then he can go (4)) and I will have my 2 year old who will be 3.

My 6 year old wants to go to a brick and mortar school next year but if we move and the schools are all really bad she will stay home with us.  Her sister is doing a mix of 1st and 2nd grade work this year and had first grade math last year (I dont throw away workbooks) So I am going to use the workbooks to figure out what to teach her next year if we keep her home.

My 7 year old wants to continue to homeschool and is the only one I may need to buy stuff for but everyone has been so helpful giving me information for grammer and I can use IXL if I need to as a basis of what to teach.  I just really need a guide.  So I am probably going to make my own curriculum next year.  I know how to teach most things so my kids get it and if not I can look it up.  But I think it is finding what you want and not secound guessing yourself that saves money.  Oh and not going over board.  I have a very large plastic bin full of workbooks, 3 complete phonics curriculums and 2 science kits along with about 40 othere things for school that are not neccasary and we never use.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)