Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

make your own vs. store bought

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm really into this whole idea of making my own curriculum for free (well not free, minus paper and ink and time) but I'm not sure if it will be that much less expensive. I have 2 girls, one going into 2nd and the other 6th. I just got done printing off a science curriculum for 2nd grade (which looks good) and it has cost about 35 bucks, for ink and paper so far. Now if I bought the book and work book not sure but used it might be about the same. I'll have to look into it to see if it's worth all this time and effort doing the research, trying to find the right worksheets and hoping there is enough to last for the subject. 

Your thoughts...

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I wish I could make up my mind like you! I have such a horrible time deciding!

Quoting GELiz:

I am going to do my own speling program. I am not going to do my own Math because I want the worksheets for practice. I will do my own penmanship. I think I will put together my own Social Studies and Science and use books from the library. And we will write about what we read and learn for writing.

GELiz
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Well, I have taught school for 17 years and really cant wait to begin again. I already have experience to draw from. Many work book pages can be done with cut and paste objects and I will have a penmanship program started. YOu can see it at theApplied Grammar website.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I wish I could make up my mind like you! I have such a horrible time deciding!

Quoting GELiz:

I am going to do my own speling program. I am not going to do my own Math because I want the worksheets for practice. I will do my own penmanship. I think I will put together my own Social Studies and Science and use books from the library. And we will write about what we read and learn for writing.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I've done the same thing. My two kids are close enough in age that I combine them on almost everything, so I thought it would be cheaper to make copies of all the materials instead of buying two of everything.  Wrong! I ran out of ink and paper before I was even half done and when I told dh I needed to buy ink, he was shocked and said, "Didn't you just buy all that stuff?" I had to admit to him that I had made a huge, expensive mistake and needed to re-buy curriculum. It's just not worth it unless of course ink becomes an unlimited free resource. LOL

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I never pay more than a $1 for a ream of paper.  I also use an extended ink system and $40 will last me for years.  I do a combination of curriculum and make my own.  I just bought Trail guide to US geography for our map work the rest of US study is going to be what we put together.  

Mommy2Emmau
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM
OMG! I could really use some of your experience! : ) I am currently using the Abeka K4 DVD curriculum, but DD is NOT loving it. She is doing well, but is super bored and has gone from being excited about school to fighting me on it everyday.

Anyway long story short, we are done with DVDs after this year. I could really use some info on where you find your used stuff and what teacher books aren't necessary (as I've heard some of them are a waste of money).

Quoting starbeck96:

I have found that it is cheaper for me to buy the curriculum.  But my ink is 15.00 for black ink and it only prints around 250 pages (using low ink selection).  So it is very expensive for me to print stuff.

I will spend about 150.00 for my daughter's full curriculum and that's using Abeka.  I just buy everything I can on Ebay and Homeschool classifieds.  This has saved me a ton.

I spent/will spend about 350.00 on the boys (they will be in 10th grade), but they are taking Algebra 2 and Geometry next year and they are taking Biology (I bought the Lab DVDs and it was 130.00).  I still saved about 50% of what I would have spent if I had bought everything new.  The only things I am buying new are the test and quiz student books.

I also sell the books from the previous school year, so this helps offset the cost every year.  Out of pocket I probably only spend a total of around 300.00 or less.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, we don't do DVD's either.  I don't think that my daughter would enjoy it because she is super hyper and has a hard time sitting still.  We break up our day into 15-20 increments throughout the day.  I almost have her to the point that she is doing most of her worksheets independently.  This gives me more time to do my housework and to help the boys or grade papers.

I get alot of her stuff from Ebay and http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com/.  I have found a lot of great deals, usually at least 35% off.  The only things I will be buying from Abeka are the workbooks and test/quiz books. 

This year I made a huge mistake ordering all the teachers stuff.  I don't even use them.  So for first grade I am not buying any of the teacher's editions.  I am buying the curriculum guides but only so I will know what books to read with what worksheets and stuff like that.  I will not buy the other teacher's keys or anything like that.

For kindergarten, I pretty much just went at her pace.  We did both K4 and K5 since Abeka is so far advanced.  I didn't want her to be overwhelmed by starting with K5 stuff right off since we didn't do preschool.

I really don't think that the curriculum guides or teacher keys are necessary.  A few of the tests and workbook pages will ask "write the blend that your teacher says" so I would just look at what she has been doing on past worksheets and use that as my guide for what blend to use.  If you want the curriculums, so everything is pretty much laid out, then definitely look at ebay or homeschoolclassifieds.  Another website to use is http://www.exodusbooks.com/.  They have a flat shipping rate of 4.95 so if you are buying alot of things used from them, then it can be pretty cheap. 

I also will go to the Abeka materials display meeting to order what I need.  I have to drive an hour to get to the closest meeting, but it will save me the 12% shipping (since shipping is free when you order at the displays) and I will automatically save 5% (if you spend over 150.00).  So I will easily save 30.00.  We will just make a field trip day out of it so we are not going just for that.

I hope this helps.  If you need anything else, just let me know.  I'm sorry if it all sounds jumbled up, but I have an upper respiratory infection and the cough meds I took has gotten me feeling a little loopy..lol.

Quoting Mommy2Emmau:

OMG! I could really use some of your experience! : ) I am currently using the Abeka K4 DVD curriculum, but DD is NOT loving it. She is doing well, but is super bored and has gone from being excited about school to fighting me on it everyday.

Anyway long story short, we are done with DVDs after this year. I could really use some info on where you find your used stuff and what teacher books aren't necessary (as I've heard some of them are a waste of money).

Quoting starbeck96:

I have found that it is cheaper for me to buy the curriculum.  But my ink is 15.00 for black ink and it only prints around 250 pages (using low ink selection).  So it is very expensive for me to print stuff.

I will spend about 150.00 for my daughter's full curriculum and that's using Abeka.  I just buy everything I can on Ebay and Homeschool classifieds.  This has saved me a ton.

I spent/will spend about 350.00 on the boys (they will be in 10th grade), but they are taking Algebra 2 and Geometry next year and they are taking Biology (I bought the Lab DVDs and it was 130.00).  I still saved about 50% of what I would have spent if I had bought everything new.  The only things I am buying new are the test and quiz student books.

I also sell the books from the previous school year, so this helps offset the cost every year.  Out of pocket I probably only spend a total of around 300.00 or less.

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:22 AM

I really like the science I have already printed off. So if anything I will use that if I do buy a curriculum. I really thought this was going to be a great idea!

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I've done the same thing. My two kids are close enough in age that I combine them on almost everything, so I thought it would be cheaper to make copies of all the materials instead of buying two of everything.  Wrong! I ran out of ink and paper before I was even half done and when I told dh I needed to buy ink, he was shocked and said, "Didn't you just buy all that stuff?" I had to admit to him that I had made a huge, expensive mistake and needed to re-buy curriculum. It's just not worth it unless of course ink becomes an unlimited free resource. LOL

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:25 AM

When I bought a new printer I should have looked to see how much the ink was going to cost. It's not to expensive for every day use but the way I'm using it it is. I wish I could just put the curriculum together. I keep finding something new and forget about what I already found then the new stuff won't work then I'm back to square one! I really am getting tired of it!

Quoting jen2150:

I never pay more than a $1 for a ream of paper.  I also use an extended ink system and $40 will last me for years.  I do a combination of curriculum and make my own.  I just bought Trail guide to US geography for our map work the rest of US study is going to be what we put together.  

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM
DIY makes me worry about gaps. And the printing cost can be high, like others have said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I'm not worried about gaps. I've got a few websites that explain what to follow and I've thrown in some stuff my daughter would like to learn about (in science anyway) That's my road block right now: the printing cost! Even though my husband really doesn't care what I spend as long as it's benefiting our girls he doesn't care, he'd spend what ever I wanted on a packaged curriculum but I just can't see spending the money on it if I can do it cheaper. That's my fault...I'm the cheap one! I know in the end I will probably break down and buy the package curriculum but at least I can say I tried to piece it together and be thrifty or whatever, and put together what my kids are interested in. 

Quoting hipmomto3:

DIY makes me worry about gaps. And the printing cost can be high, like others have said.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)