Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Dinosaur or Solar System unit study

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:02 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hello, all!

My kids DD(pk) and Ds (K) are both VERY into dinosaurs and the solar system and stars.  I have tons of books for each and I am about to go off to google but I thought I would ask you girls first, 

Do you have any good ideas for this age level that your children have loved for either of these topics??  I would love to stretch each unit over 2-3 weeks maybe working on it 2-3 days per week.

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amberstars
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:10 AM
2 moms liked this

For dinosaurs how about cover dinosaurs /fauna of each time period?  Fossils and how they are made (maybe go on a 'dinosaur dig') out in your backyard?

Solar System:

Asteroids/comets

Inner planets

Outer Planets

Maybe you could talk about how we used to have 9 planets but now have 8 planets.

Maybe some of humanity's space achievements? (Trip to the moon for example)

Talk about astronauts and cosmonauts

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

wunderwifey
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:58 AM
If you're Jewish or Christian there are a lot of ways to incorporate Bible time into it as well. Studying the scriptures on creation and all the animals. Particular emphasis on the 'fire breathing' creatures and the microevolution of animals still in existance like alligators and lizards.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm doing the solar system with my 2nd and 4th grader right now- The Magic School Bus videos and books are great- our local library has a large supply of them.  We are doing some Bill Nye videos too, but not sure if those would work well for your age group.  Other then that we are reading a Magic Tree House book called Midnight on the Moon together, we read about Niel Armstorng, and here are a few links I have pulled things from:

http://anotherdayinfirstgrade.blogspot.com/2011/05/balanced-literacy-unit-321blastoff-free.html

http://msdurning.blogspot.com/2011/12/earth-and-sun-printable.html

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:19 AM

We did a solar system unit last year. We made cookies (got the idea from Home Education magazine July-August 2010 'Cosmic Cuisine' article - our library has this magazine) for each planet, decorated them to look like the planet (we even did tiny cookie moons). The article tells you approximately how big to make each cookie so they are roughly to scale with each other. We talked about how big the sun would be if we made it (we did not - it'd be huge!). 

Here's a blog post with pictures: http://olivecraver.blogspot.com/2011/08/solar-system.html

oredeb
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM

we always write a poem for each planet and the dinosaurs

not sure if this has been wrote!  but we hand our planets made out of cardboard, the kids decorate and paint them to look just like the planets, and we make them very big, also we put black paper you get at the school supply store on the wall and put the plantets and stars(popular ones plus) on it,

also we have put the planets on the wall and put the facts by each planet

we read stories about each subject, fiction and non fiction

i have the kids write a story about how they were shipwrecked with the dinosaurs, drawing pictues, and turn them into books

we've done a few space ones also!

we keep note books of the solar system, and dinosaurs,

we also make large cardboard figures of the dinos and place them around on the walls, also putting up the trees and a volcano makes it feel like we are there!

we watch movies about dinos and solar system, visit omsi,

at night we sky watch, we have this neat free app that lets us see where the planets and stars are

we listen for anything on space on the news or search things out, we'd be doing some research on the meterite and astroids now!

theres more but i cant think of them right now! be back later!

ripemango
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM

you may wanna try out this site:

http://www.homeschoolastronomy.com/

I just found out about it yesterday  and signed up. I have received a free mini lesson, but have yet to watch it.

My very small little city has a planetarium and often has free events. there is also a Paleontological and  Mineral & Lapidary society that has free cool stuff all of the time plus they go on Sat morning adventures every now and then and digs up lil fossils.Depending on where you live, google and see what comes up!

I too would be interested in more dinosaur stuff though.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

We made a solar system pizza.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Magic school house making dinosuar and thw solar system watching movies
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Channell07
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Thanks for all the ideas! I will definitely incorporate most of them.  We have the whole series of the Magic schoolbus show and they love it so I guess I had better go get the book as well!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM

You could do both. Take half the week to start one and then the other half to start the other and work in the other subjects with each of the projects with more of the focus on the projects for the learning enjoyment.  :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN