Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

DD is in 3rd grade so she's ahead of the first book. I am going to look at each book's scope/spectrum... but it says that you should start at Apples even if your child is ahead. Any thoughs from families using this book series? Start at Apples or ahead?

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I don't think you can even get bored reading The Life of Fred. LOL

Quoting romacox:

Do what is in the best interest of your child.  If you are sure that your  child is beyond what the directions say, ignore the directions in favor of not boring your child. 

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Even if you feel she is beyond it, start with Apples anyway, just for the continuity. Also because there are so many non-math things to learn from those books! I love how he throws in other seemingly random subjects in to the mix. It's just fun!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM

We are buying the first set for next year.  My son will be in 3rd and we plan on starting with Apples anyway.  Mostly we plan on using that as our warm-up, it didn't look like there was enough meat in it to make it a full curriculum.  Does anyone else just use it as a warm-up?

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM

When I was young, my memory was such that reading a book or watching a movie twice was out of the question....too boring.  But now that I am much  older, and my memory not so good, I find that I can watch and read those old things several times without getting bored. 

But after reading the advice of others about continuity (starting with Apples), I would go with that unless it is not working for my child....

bouncing

Quoting bmw29:

I don't think you can even get bored reading The Life of Fred. LOL

Quoting romacox:

Do what is in the best interest of your child.  If you are sure that your  child is beyond what the directions say, ignore the directions in favor of not boring your child. 

ballerina.2006
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM
It's basically a series of books at certain math levels (not really grades) and uses story problems. It really works both math and language arts using story problems, math equations and story comprehension. It really has been helping my dd in both math and language arts :)
HTH

Quoting mem82:

Can someone explain the basis of Life of Fred? How does it work?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Life Of  Fred Mathematics ...Where to Start.  (also what is Life Of Fred)

Apples Teaches (also link to sample)

Quoting ballerina.2006:

It's basically a series of books at certain math levels (not really grades) and uses story problems. It really works both math and language arts using story problems, math equations and story comprehension. It really has been helping my dd in both math and language arts :)
HTH

Quoting mem82:

Can someone explain the basis of Life of Fred? How does it work?

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Life of Fred is pretty much a 1st grade through college level math curriculum.  You read the story and then you are given problems to figure out.  After you have attempted the problems, they give you the answers and how to do the problems.  What is considered discovery math.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:08 PM

We use teaching textbooks as well.  I like alternating them.  My son likes to play with numbers and math on paper.  Right now he is really into geometry.  I like having him  play with numbers and then sit and read together.  Sometimes they want to take a break and do things a little differently.  I really love being able to change our math lessons.  My boys are definately the opposite.  It amazes me how different kids are sometimes.  Even when I compare my two boys.  

Quoting Silverkitty:

We started with Fractions and Decimals since the Elementry series wasn't out at the time.  I plan on getting the books so my daughter can read the stories, but we have quit using it as a curriculum.  My daughter got frustrated with reading it and then doing the problems.  She isn't a discovery and learn type of child, she prefers direct directions.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I don't use this program but my opinion is to start ahead if that is where kids are at. You should go with your gut instincts.  :)   

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:51 PM
I'd say apples. You can get through the whole series in like, a year. Lol. Apples took us 16-18 school days I think because that's how many chapters it had. I am not a fan. I think it is extremely over priced and doesn't teach anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)