Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Learning Opportunities! Today in History: February 22

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM
  • 7 Replies

Below are a list of events that took place today in history.
Have you studied or will you be studying any of these events?
Share with us!

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I know a lot of the older historical stuff but the these are the events I remember.

1980Miracle on Ice: In Lake Placid, New York, the United States hockey team defeats the Soviet Union hockey team 4-3.

1983 – The notorious Broadway flop Moose Murders opens and closes on the same night at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre. (I have always been a theater junkie, so I remembe this well)

1994Aldrich Ames and his wife are charged by the United States Department of Justice with spying for the Soviet Union. (This was top in our home for YEARS. Being a very patriotic and military family, we could not comprehend how anyone could possibly resort to Treason.)

1997 – In Roslin, Scotland, scientists announce that an adult sheep named Dolly has been successfully cloned (Boy do I remember the ethical and political debates my friends and I had over this one...lol)

2011 – An earthquake measuring 6.3 in magnitude strikes Christchurch, New Zealand, killing 185 people. (It is sad to me, that even two years later, Christchurch still hasn't recovered from this)

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I remeber Dolly the sheep well too lol!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Kind of a quiet day in History.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I was 12 or 13 and remember talking about how it was going to lead to human cloning.

Quoting irvinehiker:

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

You are  making me feel old lol!!  I was in college and I definately remeber the talk about human cloning.  I haven't heard any talk about cloning lately.   

Quoting mem82:

I was 12 or 13 and remember talking about how it was going to lead to human cloning.

Quoting irvinehiker:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 22, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I remember too as I was working on giving birth that year to our second baby. lol

Quoting irvinehiker:

You are  making me feel old lol!!  I was in college and I definately remeber the talk about human cloning.  I haven't heard any talk about cloning lately.   

Quoting mem82:

Quoting irvinehiker:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I remember almost all of them. I just don't remember the Moose Murders.  

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

I know a lot of the older historical stuff but the these are the events I remember.

1980Miracle on Ice: In Lake Placid, New York, the United States hockey team defeats the Soviet Union hockey team 4-3.

1983 – The notorious Broadway flop Moose Murders opens and closes on the same night at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre. (I have always been a theater junkie, so I remembe this well)

1994Aldrich Ames and his wife are charged by the United States Department of Justice with spying for the Soviet Union. (This was top in our home for YEARS. Being a very patriotic and military family, we could not comprehend how anyone could possibly resort to Treason.)

1997 – In Roslin, Scotland, scientists announce that an adult sheep named Dolly has been successfully cloned (Boy do I remember the ethical and political debates my friends and I had over this one...lol)

2011 – An earthquake measuring 6.3 in magnitude strikes Christchurch, New Zealand, killing 185 people. (It is sad to me, that even two years later, Christchurch still hasn't recovered from this)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)