Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What mistakes did you make when first starting to homeschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

what mistakes have you done while starting to homeschool? or are doing?

what did you do to make it better?

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Replies (11-20):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:54 PM
I will say I wish I knew then about Waldorf, but I'm glad I found out early. It is working well for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina.2006
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Public school mentality and forced learning.

I understand how dd learns better (1st grade) and we are MUCH more relaxed so things have gone much better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

My first attempt at homeschooling was a disaster, and I gave up after the first year.

First, I pulled my two boys out of a beloved Christian school. They had no problems there.They were great students. Everyone was happy, except we could no longer afford it. I expected that they needed as much as possible to stay the same. One of the few things I could keep the same was their aBeka curriculum. Well, the material was fine, but I found out I dislike teaching textbooks as much as they missed the classroom. I wish I'd combined them in history and science, so that they would have had more positive interaction and had FUN at homeschooling. Instead, my 6th grader was pretty much left to read and do everything on his own, while I helped the 4th grader. That was a big mistake. My 6th grader did his work, was an excellent student, but he needed more interaction--he is a social kind of guy. My two boys are as opposite in personality as can be and at that time did not usually get along (at 18 and 20 they get along GREAT).

I got overwhelmed with a baby, a home business, and an endless stack of quizzes, tests, and workbooks to grade. I wish I'd pitched the gradebook, along with the tests and quizzes, in favor of some narration, enthusiastic discussion, and some great supplemental reading.

They went to public school the next year. It was NOT a mistake to send them. They have done very well in public school. I do wish I could have found a way to continue, but I really have no regrets.

I determined to find a way to homeschool my dd, and I did learn from my mistakes. My dd and I have homeschooled from K4. We are finishing up our 6th year, and it is working very well. Homeschooling from the beginning is in many ways easier. I underestimated the effect of the indoctrination of the classroom on my boys. They needed something radically different, not the same, to catch their interest and excite them about homeschooling. They needed more than a year to adjust. We gave up too easily.

kimpulliam
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Signed up for every field trip or activity was a big mistake for me. I also had to deschool my kids and myself. Finally figured out our School was our own and we could do things our way
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Brooked18
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:30 AM
Me too!!!

Quoting Boobah:

Got pregnant. Lol! That killed our first year big time. But we recovered.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:07 AM

We used the traditional method and it was horrible.  I pushed reading too much.  It took time to realize that progress in reading is not always apparent.

IntlMom12
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM

What is Waldorf? I haven't heard of that.

Quoting Boobah:

I will say I wish I knew then about Waldorf, but I'm glad I found out early. It is working well for us.

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Trying to make it too much like real school and expecting too much out of my little man who just wasn't ready yet. :( I really regret that, I feel like it damaged our relationship somedays.
IntlMom12
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Reading these is giving me hope. This is my first year HSing and I don't feel like it's gone very well. Knowing that you all have  had tough times and gotten through them helps.

My boys were adopted from Ethiopia when they were 3 and 4. They have been home almost 2 years and we wanted to give them a full year at home before starting school to adjust to us, their new home, etc. So DS1 (DOB 9-15-06) started K last fall. He LOVES learning but I'm having a hard time with the curriculum I chose and we have gone more to an unschooling approach, making sure I cover the 3 Rs each day. DS2 (DOB 11-25-07) I tried starting in preschool with DS1 but he was NOT ready. He could only focus for about 15 minutes and we were both getting very frustrated so I stopped forcing the learning. He sits with DS1 and me while we are doing his school and is learning that way, but he doesn't have to participate. He is getting better about sticking with things and this fall I'll have him in a "formal" preschool program where I'm working with him 1 on 1 at times. I know that means he'll be almost 7 when he enters K, but that's OK with us. :-)

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

annabelle125
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Feeling like I had to finish every single thing on every single page in every single book.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN