Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Learning to Read

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 8 Replies
My ds is 5 1/2 years old and can't read. I'm was looking to get my baby can read. But friends say don't get it. It children at age 2 and 3 reading. I feel like my son behind. Because later this year i want to start 1st grade with him. Ladies i need your help. He a visual learner. And i already began teaching dolch words. And he remember those. But can't grasp sounding out words. And that how you really need to learn how to read. Any tips? Any programs you used? Thanks!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

We learn simple letter sounds...

then letters with more than one sound... (common sounds)

then we learn vowels and consonants...

During this time I introduce syllables and then rhymes....

We work on beginning sounds and ending sounds... (usually consonants)...

We work on middle sounds (usually vowels)...

We start working on blends  (while still reviewing other sounds constantly and doing rhymes and syllables at diff times.  They all get rhymes and syllables confused at one point or another)

We also during this time, in math, have been working on patterns because it helps with learning to read left to right when they read patterns left to right...

Once the blends are pretty well formed.... we work on digraphs...  ((like ph, gh, etc.))

Once those are down, we work on silent letters...

Then we go back and review with lots and lots of reading...

I don't think I've missed anything.   It's easier with a curriculum, but we play lots of games with it.   For example if a curriculum is covering the digraphs   "ph" "gh" "wh" etc...   then I will make these up on index cards and tape them on the wall opposite us.   Then I say words that contain those digraphs and the kids have to run over and "slap" the digraph that they hear... this is a fun one.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM
2 moms liked this

As a Tutor, I have been helping children learn to read for over 30 years.  As a home school workshop leader, I have been helping parents teach reading for over 10 years.  Now college professors are asking me to teach my method to their students.  

Whole Brain Teaching teaches to all learning styles.

Hear Phonic Sounds Free (For educators, not the children)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:41 PM

BUMP!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

All about reading is amazing in my opinion. The pre level has 3 stages, the first 2 to recognizing the upper and lower case letters, the third is learning the sounds one at a time. We also watched a lot of Leap Frog Letter Factory which teaches the sound the letters make. Then level 1 is learning three letter words at a time, sounding out each letter faster and faster until you make the word, and they do have dolche words in the program, just not taught as you'd normally see them taught. It's a mastery based program.

oredeb
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM

hes probably just not ready yet, just keep working with him on a low level, and happy level, not getting upset if he doenst get it yet, eventually it will click! not all kids are ready at 2,3, 4 or 5!! mine started at 8 !

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

5 and a half is really not all that behind. Studies show that (especially boys) the brain isn't developmentally ready to read until 6 or 7 in most people. Public schools rush the process because they cant possibly read every assignment to every child. However, homeschool moms aren't under any pressure to rush. We can take the time to teach each child individually. So he doesn't HAVE to be able to read right this second. I have 3 kids and they all read at different rates. My youngest was 9 before he read. He isn't "behind" any other kid his age, and he was still able to learn other things.

Koltie6
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM
I liked Happy Phonics . It has a lot if games. I agree sometimes their just not ready.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:42 PM

With my youngest she learned all her letters and sounds.  She then moved onto learning blends of a consonant and a vowel.  The she started doing well of sounding out CVC words.  She has been reading since before her 4th birthday.  She is now reading at a 2nd grade level.  Some kids are very quick to grasp it and others not so much.  Be patient with him as he may not be truly ready.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)