Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does your state

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM
  • 7 Replies

have a homeschool day? I just got this in an email that made my daughter smile that homeschooled kids by us get a holiday all to themselves lol.

West Virginia Home School Day

February 21, 2013

Dear HSLDA Members and Friends,

Good news for homeschoolers in West Virginia! This week, the West Virginia House of Delegates adopted House Resolution 11 and the West Virginia State Senate adopted Senate Resolution 14 to designate February 19, 2013 as “West Virginia Home School Day.”

In the House, the resolution was sponsored by Delegates Boggs, Espinosa, Staggers, Rowan, O’Neal, Sobonya, Pasdon, Householder, Walker and Sumner. The Senate resolution was sponsored by Senators Sypolt, Unger, Plymale, Fitzsimmons, Beach and Carmichael. You can find their contact information to thank them for their interest and support here.

The resolutions recognize “that parental involvement and individualized attention to educational success are unique and basic components of home schooling” and that “Home-schooled students exhibit self-confidence and good citizenship and are prepared academically to meet the challenges of today’s society.” It is this recognition that spurs the legislature to praise the “students, teachers and families involved with home schooling in West Virginia for their dedication to excellence in education.”

You can view or print the resolutions on the West Virginia legislature website. Click here to view the House Resolution, or click here to see the Senate Resolution.

Thank you so much for your support of homeschooling and homeschool freedom. It is your investment in the lives and education of the next generation that inspires recognition and praise.

Montani semper liberi,

Michael P. Donnelly, Esq.
HSLDA Staff Attorney

(I'm not an HSLDA member, but receive the emails since I was looking into laws everywhere in the US since we might be moving this summer/fall.)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Knightquester
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I know here many places like certain museums, aquariums, zoos and places like that offer homeschool days where it's free for homeschoolers to go.  This weekend we're going to a huge Aquarium we were able to get free tickets to for their homeschool day that includes special things set up for homeschoolers, like a tour, and learning area.

I don't think the state has a special homeschool day like it's a holiday, but I do enjoy the various different homeschool days offered at different places that can be anytime in a given year.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:03 PM

This is awesome! Thank you for posting and sharing it with us!  :)  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I will have to check. LOL

crzy4crm
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM
In MS we have a Honeschool Day at our state capital, but not a holiday. That's pretty cool.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I have to wonder tho... it says it's for Feb 19, 2013...does that mean it's only that one day for this year or will it be Feb 19th from here on out? It doesn't mention it in either, because if that's the case, it's no wonder no one knew about it because it wasn't "published" until after that date lol

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:46 PM
I have no idea!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:35 AM

i think ours does, but i just cant remember when it is!!!hahahahaa

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN