Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Abeka math and L/A

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM
  • 14 Replies
I'm sorry, I'm mobile and can't do a search in the group I'm sure this is a curriculum that has been asked about many times.

I am looking into Abeka for 1st and 2nd grade math and language arts. I have heard a lot of people say good things about the language arts programs but any opinions I would love to hear.
The math I haven't heard about, both of my kids love math and seem to catch on quickly, so I would like something they won't get bored with.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I don't use them personally but here's a bump since I know some of the mom's in here do.. Good Luck to you :)  

undefined

OneDay.
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
thank you

Quoting kirbymom:

I don't use them personally but here's a bump since I know some of the mom's in here do.. Good Luck to you :)  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Your welcome. Have you thought about writing your own lessons?  

Quoting OneDay.:

thank you

Quoting kirbymom:

ajthompson77
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I don't like Abeka for second grade.  The math is frustrating because each lesson is a hodge podge of a whole bunch of different things.  One paper can have adding, subtracting, measuring, graphs, temperature, roman numerals, and other things.  In just one paper.  So I don't like that it doesn't just focus on one topic to make sure they really understand that.  And when you're grading that paper, it's hard to gage if they are really understanding that new concept if they only have a couple problems on it.  

I used BJU for english this year.  But my son is going to be repeating second grade since he's not doing well (mostly his fault for putting no effort into his work).  But I didn't want to use the same book again, so I ordered Abeka for language arts for him.  I looked through it the other day and it's ridiculously simple.  I like BJU a whole lot more.  

OneDay.
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I've thought about it but I want to go with a curriculum made already, when we start ill have a newborn and I want to make sure they are learning everything they need to at the right levels, I'm a little overwhelmed trying to find something actually! And I wouldn't even know where to start trying to make my own.

Quoting kirbymom:

Your welcome. Have you thought about writing your own lessons?  

Quoting OneDay.:

thank you

Quoting kirbymom:

OneDay.
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Thank you!

Quoting ajthompson77:

I don't like Abeka for second grade.  The math is frustrating because each lesson is a hodge podge of a whole bunch of different things.  One paper can have adding, subtracting, measuring, graphs, temperature, roman numerals, and other things.  In just one paper.  So I don't like that it doesn't just focus on one topic to make sure they really understand that.  And when you're grading that paper, it's hard to gage if they are really understanding that new concept if they only have a couple problems on it.  

I used BJU for english this year.  But my son is going to be repeating second grade since he's not doing well (mostly his fault for putting no effort into his work).  But I didn't want to use the same book again, so I ordered Abeka for language arts for him.  I looked through it the other day and it's ridiculously simple.  I like BJU a whole lot more.  

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:28 PM

My daughter in in kindergarten and uses abeka.  We love it.   I used to teach 1st and 2nd grade in a christian school that used Abeka.  It is a wonderful program.  Their language arts program is awesome.  I like their math as well, but it does cover several things on one page.  But, I love that because my daughter gets plenty of review while learning new things.

My daughter is doing great with it. 

OneDay.
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Thank you!

Quoting starbeck96:

My daughter in in kindergarten and uses abeka.  We love it.   I used to teach 1st and 2nd grade in a christian school that used Abeka.  It is a wonderful program.  Their language arts program is awesome.  I like their math as well, but it does cover several things on one page.  But, I love that because my daughter gets plenty of review while learning new things.

My daughter is doing great with it. 

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:48 PM

We use the entire curric and LOVE it.  They focus heavily on phonics and writting.  My girls are doing very well with their math program as well.

BTW I have a K and 1st grader.

OneDay.
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Thank you!

Quoting coala:

We use the entire curric and LOVE it.  They focus heavily on phonics and writting.  My girls are doing very well with their math program as well.

BTW I have a K and 1st grader.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)