Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I'm sorry, I'm mobile and can't do a search in the group I'm sure this is a curriculum that has been asked about many times.

I am looking into Abeka for 1st and 2nd grade math and language arts. I have heard a lot of people say good things about the language arts programs but any opinions I would love to hear.
The math I haven't heard about, both of my kids love math and seem to catch on quickly, so I would like something they won't get bored with.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Replies (11-14):
lucsch
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:12 AM

aBeka math is spiral, which I like. Nobody does real life math in a vacuum with only one type of problem. My dd was using a mastery program, which did help her learn her math facts; but she found it tedious and boring. I had part of a leftover aBeka 2nd grade math book, and she loved it. I could see she liked the variety of problems, so we switched to CLE (Christian Light Education). I like CLE because, past about 2nd grade, all the teaching is in the workbooks. With aBeka, you need the TM to get the full benefit.

For LA, I remember not caring for 4th grade aBeka. I couldn't say about the younger grades.

In general, I'm not a big fan of workbook or textbook teaching. For math and handwriting, I think it is necessary. For other subjects, there are more fun ways of teaching/learning. I am a big fan of Charlotte Mason and Ruth Beechick.

We use Heart of Dakota curriculum. I plan to use it throughout my dd's homeschooling.

OneDay.
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Thank you

Quoting lucsch:

aBeka math is spiral, which I like. Nobody does real life math in a vacuum with only one type of problem. My dd was using a mastery program, which did help her learn her math facts; but she found it tedious and boring. I had part of a leftover aBeka 2nd grade math book, and she loved it. I could see she liked the variety of problems, so we switched to CLE (Christian Light Education). I like CLE because, past about 2nd grade, all the teaching is in the workbooks. With aBeka, you need the TM to get the full benefit.

For LA, I remember not caring for 4th grade aBeka. I couldn't say about the younger grades.

In general, I'm not a big fan of workbook or textbook teaching. For math and handwriting, I think it is necessary. For other subjects, there are more fun ways of teaching/learning. I am a big fan of Charlotte Mason and Ruth Beechick.

We use Heart of Dakota curriculum. I plan to use it throughout my dd's homeschooling.

edelweiss23
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM
I am currently using 2nd grade for my 7 year old. It is slightly over her head, but she isn't bored and she has learned a lot.

I like it, it's a challenge for my 2nd grader and 4th grader.
Walnutgrovefarm
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM

My ds did Abeka in the 3rd and 4th grade. He did the whole curriculum. I liked it. Math is repetitive and the language is pretty good. I recommend it. Now we added in different curriculum, but are looking at going back to Abeka for middle school and high school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)