Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi! I am new here....questions about homeschooling?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi.  My name is Jess.  I have a couple of questions.  I have 2 children, ages 13 and 9.  I am considering homeschooling my girls.  Right now, they are in public school...7th grade and 4th grade.  I want to have a more interactive role in their education and would prefer a more christian based education. 

What made you decide to homeschool?  Have your child/ren always been homeschooled?  If not, how old were they when you started?  Did they give much resistance?  What circiulum do you use?  Is it expensive?  Do you teach them yourself or are they involved in homeschooling groups too?

Thanks so much in advance.

Jess

mom to Emily and Hailey (my 2 lill ladybugs)

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paris2lmp
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:12 AM

HI! 

I just started homeschooling about a month ago.  I took both my boys ages 6 and 8 out of a public school, because, basically, I feel I can do better.  There is so much stuff happening in public schools now that I just don't agree with!  Also my youngest (in kindergarten) was having some troubles in school also.  He is really very smart, but he has a quick temper that would get him into trouble.  At home I can focus more on teaching him more christian values, and help him learn to control his temper instead of just sending him to the principal!

Currently we are making our own curriculum as we go.  I started by using time4learning.com, but quickly realized it just wasn't working for us, so I won't be renewing our membership for that next month.  I go online and look for different free resources for materials in our subjects and print them out when we are ready to use them, I also make weekly (at least) trips to the library for materials.  For our family, that works to help keep the costs down.  Plus, I was just overwhelmed when looking at curriculums, and afraid I would spend a whole bunch of money for something that wouldn't work for us. 

My kids didn't really fight me at all.  My oldest loves homeschooling so far, and my youngest just misses his classmates.  But we have phone numbers for his school friends and we arrange play dates, and they take swim lessons, and we attend church, so the still get social interaction too.  We also joined a local homeschool group that does various activities together. 

Good luck!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Hi Jess. We've homeschooled our eldest since she was 9 (she is now almost 12); I also have two sons who will be homeschooled and have never been to brick and mortar school. DD wanted to come home, so no resistance, lol.

I use a mix of curricula resources - Catholic and secular. It can be pricey; in my experience the older the child gets, the more expensive it becomes.

I do teach my children myself. They are involved in a homeschool group, but that only offers one "class" per semester (last semester it was geography for middle school grades and this semester they are doing a play).

Quoting 2lilladybugs:

Hi.  My name is Jess.  I have a couple of questions.  I have 2 children, ages 13 and 9.  I am considering homeschooling my girls.  Right now, they are in public school...7th grade and 4th grade.  I want to have a more interactive role in their education and would prefer a more christian based education. 

What made you decide to homeschool?  Have your child/ren always been homeschooled?  If not, how old were they when you started?  Did they give much resistance?  What circiulum do you use?  Is it expensive?  Do you teach them yourself or are they involved in homeschooling groups too?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:04 PM
3 moms liked this

Hi Jess.  I pulled my oldest son out of the brick and mortar school 14 months ago.  I started out with purchasing parts of the k12 curriculum and partly trying to do it all on my own.  There was no resistance because he hated his school, but I tried to make it way to much like school (ie school at home).  I didn't know enough about the laws of our state and was not confident that I could do it at all (even though I was a high school teacher for 5 years). 

My middle boy is now kindergarten age, so I placed both of them totally into the k12 system which was a big mistake.  About 2 weeks ago, I pulled them out of k12 as well.  I am much more confident that I can do it on my own, now.  In just the 2 weeks that I have been focused on them and their needs instead of someone else's program and demands, I have seen such improvement in their academics, our relationship, and their relationships with one another.  I also have more time to spend teaching and playing with my 4yo. 

We are involved in a church group that has many homeschooling members, but there are some public schoolers involved as well.  We did not purchase another curriculum, but I am buying Math U See for their math for next year.  This year I just want to focus on their bumpy areas (time, money and fractions).  This year we have spent less than $100 on the actual books etc.  Mostly just books for reading and ink for our printer.  I like mostly building my own. 

Our biggest mistake was trying to school at home.  Now I understand that learning occurs all the time and I work on building our relationship so that I know how to help them the most and what we need to work on next. 

QueenCreole313
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Welcome! I'm Julia. I too am new to homeschooling but it has been the best decision for me and my family. My son is 10. I pulled him out about one month ago due to incompetent teachers and administration, bullying, and other issues. I don't believe I should send my child out into the world to be belittled, threatened and have his self esteem destroyed. If that is what school socialization is then I politely decline.

My son actually begged me to homeschool last year I told him no. He had a good teacher but the classmates were not ideal. This year both sucked. I tried getting help but was ignored by the administrators. This year I saw him decline socially and become depressed. With kids committing suicide in my state I thought this was the best choice to raise a confident happy and healthy human being.

I don't use a box curriculum. I use an eclectic style. He and I both get bored easily so we switch it up a lot. Websites, workbooks, DVDs, in depth conversations, etc.

I am a single mom working outside the home. So we have a non traditional "schedule". My son and I take responsibility for his education. He is given independent work when u an away. I believe it will teach him independence and discipline. We are child led in some subjects. He loves science experiments. I would love to find a homeschool group in the future. But we are enjoying our new found freedom with our home academy. Best of luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Walnutgrovefarm
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:49 PM

We pulled our ds out of ps at the end of second grade. No resistance he begged to be homeschooled. Our curriculum is ecletic. I pull from difference sources. Loving Math USee and so far Essentials in Writing for Language. Notgrass American History and Apologia science. Spelling and Literature I make on my own. He is enrolled in art classes and guitar lessons. We do not do a co op as we live on a farm and need to be around certain times of the year. P.S. ds is now in the 6th grade and thriving at home and learning so many different skills outside of academia. Good luck hope you enjoy!!

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Hi Jess,

We have four at home, and we've homeschooled them since mid 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade, and the end of 6th.  We left our middle schooler in till the end of the year because she was involved in sports, but we both wish we hadn't.  The only thing they miss is being able to play sports, but we are involved in lots of other activities.

We use a Unit Study Curriculum called Learning Adventures, which we love.  It covers Language Arts, History, Geography, Culture, Government, even Science, though we've decided we want to go a little deeper and are using Apologia with both our Elementary and High School kiddos. I don't purchase them from the Apologia site, but from cbd.com when they are having a great sale.

We chose not to go with a packaged curriculum like Sonlight or Abeka because they are so expensive and didn't really seem to be what we want, though it does seem like we put some $ into our selections.  Learning Adventures we purchase directly from the publisher, and it is less than many other similar curriculums.  The  biggest cost for us is that we buy four sets of anything we choose (or 3 of one and 1 of another as with Science)!

We use Memoria Press for Latin, which we also purchase from cbd.com, and our Math curriculum of choice is definitely Math-U-See, which you can find at their site, and often on eBay.  We actually have all of the teacher manuals and DVD's except for Calculus, and I spend $25-$30 on student materials as each child reaches that level.  I may have to break down and spend the $100 on Calculus when my math whizzes get there, because it doesn't seem to be available anywhere but the store!

I do teach them myself.  There are no Co-op or Homeschooling Groups near me, though I do belong to several CafeMom groups and several homeschooling blogs and groups online.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Welcome to the group!  :)

I decided to hs b/c the ps dd was at was overcrowded and understaffed.  Our district has one of lowest dollar to student ratios in the state.  My DD's teacher did not have the experience or resources to adequately teach 30 students.  I started homeschooling my dd after her first grade year (7).  Not really much resistence at all.  She was happy to come home.  She really wanted to learn in a comfortable environment and not have to deal with bullys.  I use a combination of time4learning and child led learning.  I download a lot of stuff online too and buy a few workbooks.  I really don't know how much I spend per year.  I have 2 kiddos and I'm guessing around $500 /year maybe a little more IDK lol.  At this point we do not participate in coops.  The nearest coop is a bit of a drive and I have a special needs son so large groups of people don't work well with him.  We do have friends that hs and we do parties and play dates together.  

Koltie6
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM
We are on our 9th year of homeschooling. We began when my daughter was in the 5th grade. We raise show cattle and my daughter traveled a lot . One of her teachers told me it made her too tired . If she had been out for cheer leading or choir etc it would have been fine . We live in an area where not many people are involved in agriculture so they did not understand what we did. Best decision we ever made . It changed our lives. We were able to travel without answering to the school. We use teaching textbooks for math . Spelling city is free and my son loves it .As far as history, science , reading we use a variety of resources. You can control the cost . Christian Liberty Press offers curriculum very inexpensive. As far as co ops we do not as we travel often . Good luck
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM

What made you decide to homeschool? I just hated being away from my kids and missed them sooo much.  The very week I heard of home education (this was 20 yrs ago) I yanked them out.  Have your child/ren always been homeschooled? Only the older ones went to public school.  As I said as soon as I learned of home education they were home from then on!  If not, how old were they when you started?  My oldest was 13.  Did they give much resistance?  No, but they knew when parents made a decision that was it. What circiulum do you use? Mostly ABeka  Is it expensive? Not too bad. With ABeka I just bought the books. Didn't buy tests and any extra stuff.   Do you teach them yourself or are they involved in homeschooling groups too? Myself

lifesadream83
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM
We started homeschooling for many reasons.
1- I always wanted to but initially hubby was not for it and I was working.
2- dd had spent 3 years (prek, k and 1st) in private school. We found out we were going to move in the middle of second grade so I put her in ps. From before day one it was bad. On the day the parents meet with teachers I expressed my concern for dd switching from Montessori to traditional ps to which the teacher replied, "she will be fine," walked away and talked to other parents. Less then a week after school started I was getting letters home, dd's seat had been moved and the teacher would not talk to me. So I pulled her.
3- we are military so we move a lot. Last year fro MD to NC in the summer we are going to FL and then in feb of 2014 back to MD so homeschooling provides consistency, alleviates the potential for gaps in education and keeps us pretty tight knit. My dd's priorities are not to please her friends its to be a kid and do what mom and dad taught her. She has friends of great non bullying character. She learns in an environment where she is free to express herself without judgement or stress. I like it LOL!

Dd was 7 when we started homeschooling. It was a disaster! The curriculum I decided on was not a good fit for her learning style or my teaching style. Our first year was expensive financially, finding what worked for us, and emotionally, being mom/ teacher and dd/ student. But we survived, found what works and now dd never wants to go to school lol.

We tried k12 independent study which is where there is no teacher you teach but they give you all the guides . For us this curriculum did not work. It is extremely well put together LA and art is tied into history, science is hands on. It requires sitting on the computer too much for me. It also was very long. Days were extremely long trying to fit everything in. It is also very workbook intensive. Dd can't sit still that long nor do I expect her to. I expect her to learn with multiple senses. It is also not reuseable without significant expense for a second child. I just had # 2.

I do not go cheap on curriculum. I justify my $2k budget because I paid half that per month for private school year round for three years. But my expense includes the workooks that I will need for dd#2 also.

I am using Math in Focus a k-8 program that I love. It's basically a "prettier and easier to teach" version of Singapore math.

LA I use all about spelling, first language lessons (first and second grade),Moving Beyond the Page for 3rd and up and Word Roots. (Moving beyond the page has all inclusive bundles as well that we will use for 7th and 8th grade. 8th grade is being released in the spring.)

I use Sonlight for History, read alouds and readers.

I have Singapore science for k-2 and we are using RSO science for 3-5 (earth&space, life, chemistry)

Artistic pursuits (however we are taking a break for an art class at the local curriculum consignment shop.)

I have music appreciation studies that I purchased through confessions of a homeschool mom and had printed by FedEx. We will also learn how to play the recorder next year and in fifth she will take lessons when we get back to MD.

Elementary Spanish is a great program too.grades 1-8.

We are not apart of any coops right now because we will be moving. She does an art class, in the summer she dances and we have a steady group of friend we meet up with on Fridays. We go to the park/Rockwall climbing, or to the museum. Fun stuff!

I think you will enjoy homeschooling but remember to deschool, I didn't but I hear it makes a difference ( I didn't know about deschool long when we started).and keep in mind that it really does take a year to find a grove when they have been schooled outside the home. And that's with no other significant life events!

For curriculum Might I suggest reading The Well Trained Mind.

You have two that will also the perfect age to combine into Sonlight Core F which covers the Eastern Hemisphere. This study is on a section of the world that is typically missed in PS and most other HS curriculum. I highly suggest it if you like SL methodology. It is different then their other cores because it focuses on a culture at a time where as the other cores a a sequential study of either world / American history. You could do the 4 day plan for the younger and have the older do the additional 5 day work ( or both just do the 4 day and leave day 5 for coop!)

Apologia science is also amazing! I would use it but we are not Christians.

Quoting 2lilladybugs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)