Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Creative Math Class I want to teach...I would like some input

Posted by   + Show Post

Next year for our co-op class I want to teach a class called Creative Math.  My goal is trying to get kids and parents to love math and have fun playing with math.

Here is what I was thinking.  Before I show it  to our co-op I wanted to see if it would be a class that others would interested in.  Let me know if it is something that sounds interesting.  One of my main goals for this class is to teach how math can be learned a variety of ways.

Every child would be given a bare book to be creative with math at the end of each class.  We will begin each class by reading a story from the life of fred.  There will be 6 weeks of classes.  I will be doing more activities during each week but these are topics I was thinking of doing for each week.  

1. Math in Ancient Times.  He would learn a little about Geometry and shapes from ancient times.  I was planning on having our first class introduce the ancient beginnings of math.  I also wanted to talk about why math is important.  I wanted to talk about Michael Faraday and incorporate some experiments and talk about math was used to prove his theories.  
  2. I was going to use a program called Math in motion.  It is basically using Origami to teach math concepts.
  3. Math mysteries.  I have a book about mysteries that uses Math to figure out crime mysteries.  I thought it would be neat to read about people use math to figure out mysteries.
  4. Math through Nature.  We are going learn about Fibonacci numbers. (looking for patterns) 
  5. Math through Art.  I found some books that teach Math through Art.
  6. Our last class with playing some math games together and finishing our math journal.
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Replies (11-12):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Sounds really interesting.  You have really thought this out some, haven't you? :) 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Yes, it has been in the back of mind for quite a while.(How did you know?)

My son is a math wiz.  He loves playing with math.  I have been watching him play with math for awhile and it got me thinking.  How can we as parents encourage our children to play with Math?  Last year he was taking his CAT test and he was taking a really long time on a math problem.  It turns out he answered it 10 minutes ago was just having fun doubling the answer on his scrap paper.  That was my first mistake.  I gave him scrap paper.  LOL  

Quoting kirbymom:

Sounds really interesting.  You have really thought this out some, haven't you? :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN