Creative Math Class I want to teach...I would like some input
Next year for our co-op class I want to teach a class called Creative Math. My goal is trying to get kids and parents to love math and have fun playing with math.
Here is what I was thinking. Before I show it to our co-op I wanted to see if it would be a class that others would interested in. Let me know if it is something that sounds interesting. One of my main goals for this class is to teach how math can be learned a variety of ways.
Every child would be given a bare book to be creative with math at the end of each class. We will begin each class by reading a story from the life of fred. There will be 6 weeks of classes. I will be doing more activities during each week but these are topics I was thinking of doing for each week.
- Math in Ancient Times. He would learn a little about Geometry and shapes from ancient times. I was planning on having our first class introduce the ancient beginnings of math. I also wanted to talk about why math is important. I wanted to talk about Michael Faraday and incorporate some experiments and talk about math was used to prove his theories.
- I was going to use a program called Math in motion. It is basically using Origami to teach math concepts.
- Math mysteries. I have a book about mysteries that uses Math to figure out crime mysteries. I thought it would be neat to read about people use math to figure out mysteries.
- Math through Nature. We are going learn about Fibonacci numbers. (looking for patterns)
- Math through Art. I found some books that teach Math through Art.
- Our last class with playing some math games together and finishing our math journal.