Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Saxon Math...

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 16 Replies

...your opinions.  

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Really want to know? Lol.

If not, stop reading here :P

It was torture here. It took my formerly math loving daughter and wreaked havoc on our homeschool for the few months we tried to use it. I swear I think the man who wrote it HATES math - we found it drier than chalk, lifeless, dull, and monotonous. It literally put my daughter in tears daily - and this is a child who finds math relatively easy and enjoyable.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

RockEducation
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Tons of drill and kill. Really boring. It works for some people, but DD just hated it.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:50 PM

All the naysayers kept me away from Saxon.  After terrible luck with Teaching Textbooks, Life of Fred, and everything in between, I decided to bite the bullet and try Saxon.  So, after using Saxon 7/6 with my 6th grader since the summer, I believe I've found the perfect program.  It explains new concepts in a way that ds understands and gives plenty of practice problems.  It's plain and to the point (which ds loves).  I prefer a spiral math program rather than a mastery program.  This mean that, yes, it purposely revisits previous concepts by mixing a couple of problems in with the new stuff.  My ds would never remember things like ratio and percent without a small bit of practice within each successive lesson.  

The main thing I realized after 8 years of homeschooling is not to choose or avoid programs based on others' opinions.  As long as somewhere it worked for someone at some time, I will give it a shot (after looking at samples, of course).  

We love Saxon and I plan on continuing with it all through high school as well (if my son chooses to continue homeschooling after 8th grade).  I have found nothing that is more thorough and where ds retains everything month after month.  Ds does 1/2 a lesson each day:  One day ds does all the mental math problems, we go over the new lesson together, he does all the practice problems, and he does 10 of the main problems.  The next day he does the remaining 20 problems in the lesson.  It works.  My son is amazing at math now.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM
I would like to agree with pretty much everything here. However, if anyone needs the complete first grade set, or second grade teachers manual I'm your girl!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

It was torture here. It took my formerly math loving daughter and wreaked havoc on our homeschool for the few months we tried to use it. I swear I think the man who wrote it HATES math - we found it drier than chalk, lifeless, dull, and monotonous. It literally put my daughter in tears daily - and this is a child who finds math relatively easy and enjoyable.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM
We only did the K level. It was ok. What we liked was all the manipulatives (lining up bears, tangrams, etc). What we did not like is the 'meeting book' and parent scripts, but IDK if they use those beyond K.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Uh yeah....we tried it for a few months and I agree with everything here.  

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 23, 2013 at 9:44 PM
When I think of Saxon, I think it's as close to public school as you can get, which some do want. It just wasn't for us. I know Debbie loves Saxon and has used it for many, many years. It just depends on how you teach/learn.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Very good point!!  It is a very comprehensive program and very ps typical.  It depends on what you are looking for in a program and how your student learns.  We are so lucky in this age of homeschooling that there are so many choices and we can tailor specifically to our students.  :)

Quoting Boobah:

When I think of Saxon, I think it's as close to public school as you can get, which some do want. It just wasn't for us. I know Debbie loves Saxon and has used it for many, many years. It just depends on how you teach/learn.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Aleshad01
by Alesha on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:27 PM
We are currently using Saxon and hate it. We won't be using it again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM

slow painful torture....

but it did teach it... just suggest that if you do use saxon, please realize your kids do NOT need to do all the work.   Half of it was often times too much.

It gets a little better in the older grades, though, and it does teach things well for some kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)