Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

...your opinions.  

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Replies (11-16):
snazzylady1
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM

All of you are right Saxon Math is a lot of drill but many children today are having difficulity with the basic math facts.  I don't think it should be used alone because its main focus are drills but it works well with a program called Everyday Math.  Everyday Math is a math program that has a major focus of math problem skills. This is a skill that a lot of children have problems with.  The good part about this program is that it has games that will teach the problems.  Unfortunately,  there is never one program that always meets the needs of children.  As a classroom teacher I often used a variety of programs to provide a well balanced math program.

Tonya Simmons

smartandsnazzykids.com

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I'm trying to decide what to do for next year. I've got science done well pretty much done and I'm trying to figure out Math. I've heard good and bad about it Saxon.  My oldest has changed a lot. She went from doing really well in Math, when she was in PS, to not doing so well now that she's home schooled. I'm not sure how to figure out what will work for her. She forgets what she's already learned the week before. I can't seem to make anything stick. With the other subjects she does really well. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Really want to know? Lol.

If not, stop reading here :P

It was torture here. It took my formerly math loving daughter and wreaked havoc on our homeschool for the few months we tried to use it. I swear I think the man who wrote it HATES math - we found it drier than chalk, lifeless, dull, and monotonous. It literally put my daughter in tears daily - and this is a child who finds math relatively easy and enjoyable.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM

There are many spiral programs out there (spiral means that each new lesson incorporates review - it "spirals" back).

Teaching Textbooks

Horizons

CLE

Saxon

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I'm trying to decide what to do for next year. I've got science done well pretty much done and I'm trying to figure out Math. I've heard good and bad about it Saxon.  My oldest has changed a lot. She went from doing really well in Math, when she was in PS, to not doing so well now that she's home schooled. I'm not sure how to figure out what will work for her. She forgets what she's already learned the week before. I can't seem to make anything stick. With the other subjects she does really well. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

It was torture here. It took my formerly math loving daughter and wreaked havoc on our homeschool for the few months we tried to use it. I swear I think the man who wrote it HATES math - we found it drier than chalk, lifeless, dull, and monotonous. It literally put my daughter in tears daily - and this is a child who finds math relatively easy and enjoyable.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

annabelle125
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I say it depends on the child.  

For DS (now 11 and back in PS) Saxon was a great program.  He loved it and learned well using it.  BUT,  I did not make him do ever problem--it is a bit of overkill to do every single problem.

DD- 8 and still homeschooling- saxon would be torture.  She is doing Math Mammoth and loves it.

Anne

gacgbaker
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:40 AM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

LOL- I was just talking to a teacher I know, and she was telling me the guy that wrote this does hate math! lol!  He thinks math is necessary but shouldn't be fun, just needed.  

blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:20 AM

That's what I heard, that it gets better for the older grades. I don't know what to do. I have to find something for 2nd and 6th grade.

Quoting KrissyKC:

slow painful torture....

but it did teach it... just suggest that if you do use saxon, please realize your kids do NOT need to do all the work.   Half of it was often times too much.

It gets a little better in the older grades, though, and it does teach things well for some kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)