Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Seriously?!

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM
  • 23 Replies

I'm sorry...but this ticked me off a good measure and a half. Hubby has the worst work hrs ever and for the most part I don't ask him for any help from him for things around the house or with the kids. I did however ask him to help our daughter with her labs with physics because I'll only serve to confuse her more. He agrees. I have to fight him tooth and nail to get him to do this on his days off and then he never goes over what the lab is about and WHY they're doing it in the first place, but heaven forbid that I'm there and trying to do that either before, during, or after...
I also asked him to help her build a castle out of cardboard. (There are few projects we wer planning on from when we were full on doing history she wanted to do even tho we stopped for the yr). Normally I love doing this type of stuff, but I'll admit, I'm a horrible perfectionist verging on neurotic at times and I wanted to make this FUN for her. I gave him all the information he needed, what I was expecting from it, and that she had to label the parts of the castle that we learned about (I had those written on a piece of paper).  I come up stairs to find that he had her stack cardboard boxes on top of each other and it takes up the ENTIRE living room. I just spent 2 weeks really getting the house clean (long story, but now that it is this clean, I expect a to a certain level it stay clean)...and he is having the kids throwing pillows at this monstrosity to knock it down.
I went back down stairs (to the basement to do laundry) before I had a melt down and wound up falling asleep on top of the poor dog while folding socks. He comes down for w/e reason at some point, sees me alseep, doesn't bother to wake me or save the poor dog...and goes upstairs to go to bed himeslf leaving the house a disaster area and the kids to run around on their own!
Earlier I tried showing him what I was looking into for lit and writing next year and since our daughter is much like him in those departments, he asks, "Does it require reading and writing?" ...well duh?! "Then it's not going to work and isn't worth it." He got up and walked away and didn't look. 
It's days like this I wish he'd just stay at work, or that I could strangle him, bring him back to life, and strangle him again! grr...sorry. I just really needed to vent this out. His parents and my parents are both doubting that I can properly teach her since she's struggling with reading and writing and after talking with them yesterday they're really putting the pressure on putting them back in school which is NOT an option by us. I'm just starting to lose it a little I think.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM
2 moms liked this

First I would not "talk" to either parents about our disagreements or even school at all if they are not on board.   And sounds like they were having a blast with the boxes :-)   Seriously though if he is not much help with the school don't ask him.  Very, very rarely do I ask my hubby for help.  He works hard to support us and allow me to be able to school our children at home.  If we have an algebra question or such we of course ask him if we need some help but for the most part I take care of school and he takes care of money. lol

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Normally I never bring up school with either parents. His mom is a teacher though and ther have been a few times I've asked for a little help in getting Jamie motivated. His parents have changed so much since just Christmas in all areas of their lives and I was not expecting a lecture on how homeschooling is "wrong" from them... My mom will ask the kids how school is going and then when I get the phone she nit picks at me.... It doesn't matter that I tell the kiddos to switch subjects, it's Granny, and they want to try to impress her. It doesn't matter that Jamie is advanced in math and science, it only matter that she "can't" in my mom's opinion read. 
I also normally never ask hubby for help... mostly because he does those exact things, just usually not all right in a row which is probably what put me over the edge.... For the most part I too take care of all school aspects, and he the money, but he is being medically discharged from the army soon and he swears he wants to be home more and help with the kids education more, or even, he stays home and I work. But when he does crap like this...we'd be moving to somewhere the kids could go back to school or I'd have to find a job that pays well and allows me decent enough hrs that I could do both and be utterly miserable.  He does have a potential job offer *hopefully* so I won't have to worry about school for them with him too much...but my insides are still freaking out every time something goes wrong.
They did have fun with the boxes tho, and it's probably the only reason I didn't go into complete meltdown mode.

Quoting bren_darlene:

First I would not "talk" to either parents about our disagreements or even school at all if they are not on board.   And sounds like they were having a blast with the boxes :-)   Seriously though if he is not much help with the school don't ask him.  Very, very rarely do I ask my hubby for help.  He works hard to support us and allow me to be able to school our children at home.  If we have an algebra question or such we of course ask him if we need some help but for the most part I take care of school and he takes care of money. lol

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM
5 moms liked this
When she is grown she is going to cherish the time she built a castle out of cardboard boxes with her Dad & how they stormed the castle with pillows. She might even wish that Mom had joined in instead of stressing about the house being a mess.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Very likely lol, except she too kept telling him he was building it wrong. I know in many ways I overreacted but I honestly spent 2 weeks cleaning the house and you can't tell at all and my neurotic-ness kicked in there.

I appreciate all you for letting me vent since my normal go tos were all out today.  With everything going on outside of school stuff and our school yr going all topsy turvey at this point, little things are setting me over the edge and it doesn't help that there seems to be such little support at home for homeschooling at the moment.... A big part of me can't wait til April when many people are coming to visit so we can take the month off and just enjoy the free time and I can enjoy their distractions!

Quoting usmom3:

When she is grown she is going to cherish the time she built a castle out of cardboard boxes with her Dad & how they stormed the castle with pillows. She might even wish that Mom had joined in instead of stressing about the house being a mess.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM
2 moms liked this
It is hard to do what we do & not have a ton of support to help us through. I have to tell myself all the time that the house & all the cleaning can wait because one day I won't have my children here to want me to play or what ever & then all I will have is a clean house with no one in it.

Quoting No_Difference:

Very likely lol, except she too kept telling him he was building it wrong. I know in many ways I overreacted but I honestly spent 2 weeks cleaning the house and you can't tell at all and my neurotic-ness kicked in there.

I appreciate all you for letting me vent since my normal go tos were all out today.  With everything going on outside of school stuff and our school yr going all topsy turvey at this point, little things are setting me over the edge and it doesn't help that there seems to be such little support at home for homeschooling at the moment.... A big part of me can't wait til April when many people are coming to visit so we can take the month off and just enjoy the free time and I can enjoy their distractions!

Quoting usmom3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry you had a rough day!  Tomorrow is a new day ...right?!  Sounds like maybe you are upset with his parents and your parents for doubting your abilities. not so much DH.  I'm a neat freak, so I know how frustrating it is to clean and clean and get nowhere.  I'm trying to let some of the those things go and just enjoy the little things in life.  

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this

You sound like me at the moment.  It took me nearly 2 weeks to get Daddy to do a reading assessment on our oldest.  By that point she needed 2 done at the same time.  It then took him 5 days to burn it to a CD so that I can mail them in.  We use a boxed curric with a program so this HAS to be done.  It irritates the CRAP out of me.  I have also been told to "ask" for help when I feel like I need it.  I asked last weekend and got ignored.  Which imo is better than what I usually get is "a better way to manage my time" lecture.  I don't need a lecture I need help.  Ok my vent over.  LOL

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:42 AM
4 moms liked this
Can some of you clean freaks come clean my house while I come school your kids? LOL?

(((Hugs))) OP! I gave up trying to include DH years ago. I agree...a day of building and storming castles might be the memory of a lifetime!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:18 PM
My hubby is a terrible procrastinator and will also take a lesson to some weird place. Lol my hubby can't do a craft to save his soul. I would totally have found the same non castle.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Again, thank you all for letting me vent here!! I appreciate it SO much! 
Jamie and I talked about what exactly she expected out of her castle and we came up with an agreement where I won't go stir crazy and she should have fun making it. As much fun as she had with "Daddy's castle" she wasn't impressed with it as an "assignment" lol. Apparently I'm rubbing off on her a little.
The kids do have  some chores, but have agreed to step up a little more to help me keep the house cleaned up more so I don't lose it again. Hopefully they'll stick with it! Normally I'm not such a neat freak, but if I spent that long cleaning, I want it clean for at least a week!! lol.
My wonderful neighbors  offered to help instead of me having to ask hubby too on certain things...not so much with the science labs, but at least with the crafty projects. One of them gave Hubby an A for effort sticker on his forhead along with a big red marker F for failing to complete the assignment correctly lol. It at least gave us all a good laugh :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)