Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Half or Full Day?

Hey ladies. Question for you all:
I was wondering how or if you differentiate between half or full days? I know homeschool often takes less time than conventional school. How do you decide I'd you did a full day or half day of work? Hours, subjects covered, material mastered? Or do you not differentiate at all?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Replies (11-16):
wunderwifey
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Not even PS finish all of their work each day, but its still a 'full day.' I don't think that's a detail that we will be concerned with when we start HS.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KymberleeAnn
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Same here.

If I set out to complete a certain amount of work and we complete it then I feel like our class day is complete.

Quoting CatFishMom:

I wouldnt count either half or full-I would go by the work completed. If you finish all or most of what you set up to accomplish, Id consider it a successful day.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:20 PM
This :)

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I've never thought about it before. When our work is done, we're done. If we didn't finish some work it gets done the next day. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
energygirl
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Quoting hipmomto3:

I don't make a distinction. It's either a school day or it isn't. I'm an all or nothing kind of gal. ;)

same here....some school days are more intense (all subjects and more writing or reading) and some are lighter days (the day after her evening BSF Bible study..it's a late night so the next day we just do reading and writing).  If you think about it, in public school, so much time is used up with recess, gym, arts, music, waiting in lines or waiting for their turn to go to reading groups etc......it isn't like public school is the full number of hours they are there.  Also some subjects take less time (if the kids have mastered the skills...they shouldn't have to just sit there...like they would in a classroom).  If your state makes you record half and full days in a certain way, I agree with what others have posted about if the work is done...it's a full/successful day

EnergyGirlbutterfly

Jody59
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:16 PM

We di 7:30-12:30 M-F,  2 hours of math on Sat.  and we schooled year round.

Jody   Check Out The Writing Course

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I decide based on how much comprehension takes place or how the mood is being affected. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)