Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Plants versus zombies and math.

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 12 Replies
3 moms liked this

Yesterday we were playing Plants vrs zombies.  We were in "endless" mode and my oldest son was at the controls, my 5yo says that in the first waves you need to use the plants with the least amount of suns so that you can afford more of them.  He says, "look, it's just subtraction over and over again!  You need the ones that are worth the least amount and regenerate the fastest!"  He went through a big long explanation of how each sun adds 25 and each of the plants subtract their amounts and how if you want to have lots of suns in the later stages you need to use the little stuff at the beginning!  I'm so proud of him!!

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Love it!!!  I love how they came up with the game to learn important stuff.  Great right/left brain work!

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

It is great how little stuff can get your mind working.  He totally used math skills to figure out how to get further in the game.  Would he have been able to do that in a traditional classroom?  Nope, someone would have taken his game away.  LOL

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Quoting coala:

It is great how little stuff can get your mind working.  He totally used math skills to figure out how to get further in the game.  Would he have been able to do that in a traditional classroom?  Nope, someone would have taken his game away.  LOL

You're right they would have taken it off of him.  Even we hs moms often forget how much they learn from those games.

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I have to limit the amount of time mine play b/c one would play Spy Mouse constantly and the other Dragon Fly or Angry Birds.  I know they are learning hand eye coordiniation, but they need other activities too.  LOL

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting coala:

You're right they would have taken it off of him.  Even we hs moms often forget how much they learn from those games.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I think my boys could play PvZ and Scooby doo (wii) 24/7 if I let them!  LOL We limit too, but weekends are theirs.

Quoting coala:

I have to limit the amount of time mine play b/c one would play Spy Mouse constantly and the other Dragon Fly or Angry Birds.  I know they are learning hand eye coordiniation, but they need other activities too.  LOL

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting coala:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Fantastic!  We play that game too!  See? Everything we do is education at work. Even in play. I am sooo happy with you!  You can tell him that i said whata smart little fella he is.  :)   

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kirbymom:

Fantastic!  We play that game too!  See? Everything we do is education at work. Even in play. I am sooo happy with you!  You can tell him that i said whata smart little fella he is.  :)   

I'll let him know! I'm always so surprised at what they learn when we're not even teaching!  :)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:15 PM

lol > You  know, after this many years you'd think I would be used to that by now, but now way! I am still amazed at them.  :) 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

I'll let him know! I'm always so surprised at what they learn when we're not even teaching!  :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad that it never gets old!  That's such a great part of being this involved in our kids' education.

Quoting kirbymom:

lol > You  know, after this many years you'd think I would be used to that by now, but now way! I am still amazed at them.  :) 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

amandae21
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Awesome! I don't get into games often, but sometimes DD will have me help her pass a level. She has a hard time getting it back from me lol. That game is addictive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)