Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
How do you handle when your child is disrespectful to you, or when they call you names? For the first time my 6 year old called me something completely disrespectful when he was angry. I probably overreacted....more out of hurt then anything else.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Replies (21-22):
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting kirbymom:

I'm sorry but I do not ever tolerate that kind of speech. Period. I tell my kids, after I popped them in the mouth first, that there are words that are for kids and adults to use and then there are words that only adults use and then there are words that no one should use and that just because someone uses one of those words, does not mean that we use those words. Period. We make choices to have better thoughts and behavior than that and that those choices are what make the difference between people choose to do what is right and those who chose to not care. We have a saying in our family that might apply here with you. It goes like this...

"Just because you can...doesn't mean you should"

My dad was well known in his town for being a rascal when he was growing up. Many of his shenanigans these days would get a kid in big trouble, or at least sentenced to court-ordered therapy sessions, but I guess it was all in good fun back then. However, he was always respectful and obedient to his mother. My grandmother told me that my dad let his mouth get him in trouble with her only a couple of times. He told her to "do it yourself," when she told him to do something, and she thumped him right in the lip. He was seven years old, and he never sassed her again. When she told me that story, I thought, "ODS is so easygoing, I will never have to do something like that to get results." Yeah, right. We were shopping one day when ODS was nine or ten, and he rolled his eyes and said, "whatever," to me, one too many times. I thumped his top lip. I did not hear "whatever" leave his lips again for YEARS.
snazzylady1
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Do what you need to do to make sure they don't feel like disrespecting you again.  Because they will get bigger so you probable didn't overreact.  You have to prevent them from getting worse. 

Tonya Simmons

smartandsnazzykids.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)