Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to the group!

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi Ladies! 

I am looking for advice for teaching my son. I was homeschooled and plan on homeschooling my kids :) Here is my challenge, I loved structure and it helped me learn but my son (2.5 year old) will regress at the first signs of structure or pressure (he knows a few of his colors, numbers and letters but if you ask him he refuses to tell you and ignore the object you are asking him about). I don't want to use structure at this age anyway but it seems like he even rejects play learning lol. He is a smart kid and picks up on things very fast, I am not worried about his mind at all. Any suggestions on gently encouraging him to learn? 

Thanks!

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  I don't have any brilliant suggestions at the moment, but I will think on it :).  

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM
2 moms liked this
At that age everything is a learning experience! When you go to the store let him help get things from the shelves to put in the cart, maybe go as far as to make him his own list with pictures for him to fallow, use descriptive words to help him find what he is looking for, in one trip you could cover shapes, numbers, letters, colors, left/right/up/down, food groups, it is an endless educational experience wrapped up in a shopping trip .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Welcome to the group!!  :)  I have 2 kiddos (9 & 11) and my son is just like that.  I wouldn't worry about it at this point, he is very young.  With my son I've learned to simply follow his lead.  If I push or force I know it will just take longer for him to learn.  

Pugsmuggler
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I love the picture shopping list idea! I already let him get a basket at one of the smaller local stores and pick items off the shelf and he loves that :)

Quoting usmom3:

At that age everything is a learning experience! When you go to the store let him help get things from the shelves to put in the cart, maybe go as far as to make him his own list with pictures for him to fallow, use descriptive words to help him find what he is looking for, in one trip you could cover shapes, numbers, letters, colors, left/right/up/down, food groups, it is an endless educational experience wrapped up in a shopping trip .

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Does this describe your son?

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
My middle child is the same. She used to tell me the colors were every single other color, just not the one it was. And she KNEW which one it was. She is just my defiant child. She will argue every single thing about the day and night and I'm going a little insane at this point, but wanted to let you know you aren't alone. I'm starting to learn that 3.5 is too early anyway and I need to let her be a child and not push academics because she isn't ready. When she is ready, she will be able to do it without fighting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I would just let him come to you. Maybe if you play with him down on the floor. I know that when I had my first child, we would watch  her favorite shows with her sitting on my lap and that is how she started to get interested in learning. We would sit on the floor passing her ball back and forth and me saying the word ball as often as I could. Later on, she would immitate me and the word would just slip right of her tongue.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome! I would start off with doing one thing. Like every morning, read a very short book. Don't make it a guess the color book or anything, just you reading a very short, simple story. Once he gets used to that, add one more very short simple thing.

I don't believe in structured preschool but it doesn't hurt to have a small, simple routine in place. It will make the transition to homeschooling easier. 8) Good luck

Pugsmuggler
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Thanks for posting this! I see a lot of my son in this (some he's not old enough to "show" yet) but I see 100% my husband! It was almost like they were describing him exactly! 

Quoting romacox:

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:17 AM

The  NT (analytical personality) is very intelligent.  Einstein was an NT.  The following link will give you some very interesting information about how they learn. 

The NT Style Of Learning

Also..... How And What To Teach the Pre K student

Quoting Pugsmuggler:

Thanks for posting this! I see a lot of my son in this (some he's not old enough to "show" yet) but I see 100% my husband! It was almost like they were describing him exactly! 

Quoting romacox:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)