Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi Ladies! 

I am looking for advice for teaching my son. I was homeschooled and plan on homeschooling my kids :) Here is my challenge, I loved structure and it helped me learn but my son (2.5 year old) will regress at the first signs of structure or pressure (he knows a few of his colors, numbers and letters but if you ask him he refuses to tell you and ignore the object you are asking him about). I don't want to use structure at this age anyway but it seems like he even rejects play learning lol. He is a smart kid and picks up on things very fast, I am not worried about his mind at all. Any suggestions on gently encouraging him to learn? 

Thanks!

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Replies (11-13):
oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

awww pugs, have fun with him , hes so young and got plenty of time to learn stufff, and just by regular old playing he will learn so much!!!!

how bout hammer(kids) and nails or pegs(kids) letting him learn to pound with the hammer will help with his handwriting when older

how bout learning a song together?

going outside and looking for bugs( a bug hunt)

play games

lettting him put things inside of other things is good for his motor learning

puzzles(for kids) is a big help

scribbling on large paper with crayons or paint bush or painting a piece of cardboard!

Pugsmuggler
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Thanks :) This is the type of learning I "feel" like I should be doing with him, it makes me feel better to hear someone else say that it is right! 

Quoting oredeb:

awww pugs, have fun with him , hes so young and got plenty of time to learn stufff, and just by regular old playing he will learn so much!!!!

how bout hammer(kids) and nails or pegs(kids) letting him learn to pound with the hammer will help with his handwriting when older

how bout learning a song together?

going outside and looking for bugs( a bug hunt)

play games

lettting him put things inside of other things is good for his motor learning

puzzles(for kids) is a big help

scribbling on large paper with crayons or paint bush or painting a piece of cardboard!

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:14 AM
Welcome! Maybe he senses that you are uneasy or nervous. Relax. I dont think you need to "teach" a child this age. Maybe he can tell in your demeanor. Make it fun.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)