Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Lefty and handwriting

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:46 AM
  • 17 Replies
If you taught handwriting to a lefty, were they reluctant writers? I'm on my second lefty and they both had such difficulties. Not wanting to write, writing letters backwards or laying down.
My righty picked it up super fast and beautifully. Just wondering if the dominant hand matters? Or is it my stubborn child who fights me in everything, so why would I think handwriting would be different? ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I have a stubborn child.  I think internally she is a true lefty.  She emulates many, many of the lefty traits when she writes, but uses her right hand.  I know that doesn't sound quite right, but it is totally what occurs.  I honestly think it is the stubborn nature that comes with a lefty.  I have known many of them and they are more stubborn than a righty when it comes to a lot of things.  They are also artistic and very creative.  Just give it some time and try and be patient.

Joann.HS
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM
A child that is left handed isn't necessarily more stubborn than a right handed child.

How old is he/she? Maybe he/she lacks the fine motor skills just yet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not too sure that being a left presents more of a stubborn nature than being a righty. I think that it is just the nature of the child themselves. 

cathyeastman
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I have 4 children and they are all left handed and they also write mostly everything backwards, due to that they have so much trouble learning to write and read. Any idea's to help them see n write the way the word's are pose to be written would be helpful.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Opposite here. My lefty girls love to write. My righty son hates it. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM
I meant is it just my child is stubborn, or is it more difficult for a lefty to learn to write. Not that all lefty's are stubborn, sorry if I made it sound that way! I know my child is stubborn, but wasn't sure if she was truly having difficulties.
She is only 3.5 so I know it is early yet, but her attitude toward writing is negative where my experience with right handed children has been that they cannot wait to write. The same way with my left handed nephew I taught.

Quoting Joann.HS:

A child that is left handed isn't necessarily more stubborn than a right handed child.

How old is he/she? Maybe he/she lacks the fine motor skills just yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Joann.HS
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
http://wwcsd.net/~goodwinm/Writingstages.htm

She is very young. She is probably in the scribble stages of writing and if she wants to write with her toes, go for it. Let her progress naturally through the stages of writing and she will probably be a more willing participant. Let her be and do what feels natural to her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kttycat84
by Bonnie on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:59 AM

I'm a lefty. I loved writing until I had a horrible teacher in 3rd grade. He was constantly berating me for the way I held the pencil and the slant my letters had. I developed a major callus on my ring finger that year from the way he made me write and I've never broken the habit so I still have it. I never wrote my letters backwards though.

I read through the replies and saw that she's only 3, so she's really young. When she's a bit older, and handwriting is an issue (and to cathyeastman) the best advice I have is do not correct the left-handed 'hook'! We write that way because it keeps our hands from getting covered in ink and lead....and because it's the only way it's actually comfortable for us to form our letters. Tilt the paper to match the angle instead. It's much less frustrating on the teacher and the student :) Oooh...and my handwriting improved dramatically when I became interested in calligraphy. The strokes used in calligraphy are PERFECT for lefties...just make sure to let the ink dry between letters so they don't get transferred to their hands or smudged horribly! And, a cushion-grip for a pen/pencil helps a lot too for some reason, lol.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for the advice!! I will definitely remember these :)

Quoting kttycat84:

I'm a lefty. I loved writing until I had a horrible teacher in 3rd grade. He was constantly berating me for the way I held the pencil and the slant my letters had. I developed a major callus on my ring finger that year from the way he made me write and I've never broken the habit so I still have it. I never wrote my letters backwards though.

I read through the replies and saw that she's only 3, so she's really young. When she's a bit older, and handwriting is an issue (and to cathyeastman) the best advice I have is do not correct the left-handed 'hook'! We write that way because it keeps our hands from getting covered in ink and lead....and because it's the only way it's actually comfortable for us to form our letters. Tilt the paper to match the angle instead. It's much less frustrating on the teacher and the student :) Oooh...and my handwriting improved dramatically when I became interested in calligraphy. The strokes used in calligraphy are PERFECT for lefties...just make sure to let the ink dry between letters so they don't get transferred to their hands or smudged horribly! And, a cushion-grip for a pen/pencil helps a lot too for some reason, lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM

i have leftys but they weren't reluctant, maybe its the handwriting program i used? and the age of child

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)