Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Life of Fred or Math U Can See?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am considering both of these curriculums. I would like pros, cons, thoughts or opinions. I have a 1st grader right now and an up coming Kindergartener (he is kind of between grades ATM as he can read small words and seems very English inclined and his math skills are on target for pre k or maybe beginner k). My first grader is using Horizons Math. I like it ok but I want a more thorough curriculum. He doesn't really struggle wiht Math but it's boring for him. He doesn't want to do the work either. Like we're on double digit addition and he hates writing the problem so that he can find the answer. He hates finding the answer and if he has to give it some thought or use his fingers; he'd simply rather not do it.  

Could maybe the curriculums be used together?

TIA 

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I'm not familiar with Math U See, although I know people who use it.

I can tell you that in my experience with LOF, if you're looking for more thorough than Horizons, it isn't LOF. I have a difficult time recommending LOF as anything more than a supplement (yes, yes, I know people use it as a main curriculum sometimes and I know Mr. Stanley markets it as such). I view it as a fun supplement; nothing more.

Horizons is pretty darn thorough and known for being quite rigorous - may I ask what you find not thorough about it?

Although he may not like writing out his work to find the answer, he's going to have to come to terms with doing that (and I do not mean that harshly; only realistically).

Math Mammoth is hands down my favorite math curriculum. Mastery based, highly conceptual, and rigorous (oh - and very affordable!).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

GELiz
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I do not know. I like Math U see, but have never seen the otehr one.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I basically just don't like that Horizons is all workbook based. He definitely seems to be learning from the curriculum and my teachings tho. 

I agree that he may hate to write the process down but he has to and I make him do it. I am just looking for something that isn't so dry for him. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm not familiar with Math U See, although I know people who use it.

I can tell you that in my experience with LOF, if you're looking for more thorough than Horizons, it isn't LOF. I have a difficult time recommending LOF as anything more than a supplement (yes, yes, I know people use it as a main curriculum sometimes and I know Mr. Stanley markets it as such). I view it as a fun supplement; nothing more.

Horizons is pretty darn thorough and known for being quite rigorous - may I ask what you find not thorough about it?

Although he may not like writing out his work to find the answer, he's going to have to come to terms with doing that (and I do not mean that harshly; only realistically).

Math Mammoth is hands down my favorite math curriculum. Mastery based, highly conceptual, and rigorous (oh - and very affordable!).

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:45 PM
I would definitely say math u see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM

We use teaching textbooks and LOF together.  I love it as a supplement.  I am not sure how well it would work on its own.  I like alternating between TT and LOF.  My sons like playing with math so LOF was a great way for him to spend an afternoon doing just that and reading the LOF.  I looked at Math us see but I don't really like how it spent so much time on one thing.  I like how TT is laid out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN