Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what do you think about ebooks?

Posted by   + Show Post

Some teachers and moms still prefer paper books.

and I agree with it's the best for children.

but ebook has some advantages too.

It's easy to carry, cheaper, and it's moving!

what do you think about ebook?

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Replies (21-30):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM
3 moms liked this
There are book people and there are story people. Book people crave the tactile experience of the book - the feel of the cover, the rustle of pages, the smell of the paper. It's part of a fulfilling reading experience.

Then there are those who read anything, anywhere, anytime, in whatever format it's offered because they want the story. There are stories available in ebook format that will never see print. Not because they're sub-par in any way, but simply because publishing has changed.

I love books and I still read a lot of them, but I use my e-reader just as much.

It's all about the story.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I like both.  I prefer to have a real book to hold sometimes.  I do like that I can cart with 1500 books with just a tiny little device.....And to whoever turned me onto freehomeschooldeals.com.....shame on them.  I have used a ton of space on my tablet with kindle books.  LOL  My kids LOVE the fact that we learn about something and then we can go and read a book about it on the tablet.  BTW my kids prefer to read E-Books most of the time.

EiuGirl316
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I love both personally, but I have been preferring ebooks lately. They're so easy to carry around in my bag and easier to hold. DS prefers real books though. :-)

CorpCityGrl
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I have tons of ebooks and love my Kindle, but I'm an avid reader so before getting one we were overrun with books - I had them stacked in every corner and on every surface (and yes, we also have bookcases!).  For DD though, I prefer actual books.  I'd like to instill in her the love of reading and appreciate a real book.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

It took me a while to warm up to them. But I love them now....especially the space saving!

bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I use both, but I like booksd best.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I prefer a real book over an ebook any day, but when you move as much as we do....having to pack and lift those boxes upon boxes of books becomes back breaking work, literally lol. I think the last move we moved in 15 book boxes, maybe more....and I know we've aquired more since then!! I just got my Kindle for my birthday, and I don't have many books on it yet, but I can see it may start growing for my personal collection. My daughter is allowed to only check books out from the library on hers, not buy any, but she prefers to go to the library first and page through a book before checking it out, and so she hasn't used her kindle for reading. 

I refuse to get an ebook for more than $4 either, where a real book, I'll be willing to go up to $50 (depending on the book). Besides the whole advantage with ebooks being easier to move with, I like that I don't have to worry about pages getting bent/wrinkled/torn (this is my absolute biggest petpeeve...I will even rewrite my own notes if my notebook page gets wrinkled)), or the spine so creased on some books I can't read what is there anymore.  I do still prefer to hold an actual book in my hand tho, and smell the new book smell, and I have a bagillion book marks that'll never be used again if I switched to solely ebooks.

kttycat84
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:25 AM

We use both :) We have half a dozen HUGE bookcases and more piles of books throughout the house. But, I have a nook too....and the kids LOVE reading books on WeGiveBooks.org. I like that site too, since you get to donate a book for every book you finish reading :)

Alycatalyst
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I love the idea of being able to carry one appliance when we car school instead of a bag of heavy books, but I'm very concerned about the long term affects of having an electronic device on my childs lap daily until I stop homeschooling.  We use old school books.

Alycatalyst
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)