Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

One of those days....

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 8 Replies

Well my son doesn't want to do anything but history today.  I have fought him on his Hooked on Phonics and I am sure that grammar, math and spelling will also be a fight. Some days I just feel like sticking him back in public school. He honestly should be glad that I am super worried about his education; otherwise, I honestly wouldn't try so hard to teach him. He doesn't want to go to public school eihter so it's usually a good motivatter that I use sometimes. I need to make a behavior chart or something to maybe use positive reinforcement. 

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I would just get creative & tie all the subjects up in history so he can continue to learn what he is interested in & your need for the other subjects to be covered get done too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Take a break today, do something fun, start again tomorrow :)
If its like this every day, take a look at the curriculum and how you are teaching. Does it work with his learning style? Is there something out there that wold work better? The benefit to homeschool is being able to tweak things to your child. If you can't afford new curric, maybe just see if you can put a new spin on what you are using. How long are you allowing for each lesson? Try to keep them short - 15-20 minutes each. About 30 for math or less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Like usmom said, you could do a unit study type of deal where all the subjects tie into history. I didn't think of that, great idea!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM

A lot of it is because we are off schedule. I was in a car accident a couple of weeks ago and dealing with all the insurance and buying a new car took up a lot of time. I have been slowly getting him on schedule tho. He has been doing very well up until this point. Next year I am buying a different curriculum tho. I think there are other ones that will hold his interest better. He loves HOP he just didn't want to do it today but he hasn't did it for 3 wks. 

Quoting Boobah:

Take a break today, do something fun, start again tomorrow :)
If its like this every day, take a look at the curriculum and how you are teaching. Does it work with his learning style? Is there something out there that wold work better? The benefit to homeschool is being able to tweak things to your child. If you can't afford new curric, maybe just see if you can put a new spin on what you are using. How long are you allowing for each lesson? Try to keep them short - 15-20 minutes each. About 30 for math or less.

superwoman0105
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know what grade your son is in but my son is in second grade and I have learned to just let him do the subjects he chooses to do.  Like today, all he wanted to do was Math so I let him.  I look at it this way.  He is enjoying learning and he is happy.  I would like for him to do each subject every day and most days he does.  There are just some days when he gets into these learning cravings for a particular subject and it could last anywhere for a few hours to a few days.  I just go with it and tell myself that even though he is all about Math right now, he is only in second grade and he will learn grammar (or whatever subject we are behind on cause we are ALWAYS behind on something) before he graduates from high school.  It puts into perspective for me and I stress out less.  Hope this helps.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:09 PM
If you build your own curriculum or use something looser, EVERYTHING can be taught with the subject of History as a base. Spelling, math, science, reading, writing, literature, religious studies, art...
You were just in an accident. It takes more than a couple of short weeks to recover, even with minor injuries. Is there any way you can break down the lessons or teach them in a different (simpler) way, to make him more receptive? Can you bribe him with Jell-O or Smarties? I know bribery is a copout in most instances, but it is almost universally successful. Will he cooperate if you change around the schedule, or do school at night? Do HOP first thing while he has his favorite breakfast? Will he do it if you maybe do school outside?

We use the free Beep & Boop app on the iPhone. There are certain behaviors and tasks that earn LO a beep, and disobeying or just generally being a jerk earns him boops. 100 beeps earns a wooden Thomas character (we buy them whenever they are super cheap and stash them in a closet), and a Boop takes away a point. He is really squirrelly and believe it or not, it can take him a month to accrue 100 points, because I have to take away so many. He is only ten points from receiving another train right now, but he was seven points away this morning. See? LOL. A better-behaved child might have to earn 200 or 300 points to get a reward, since they will meet the goal faster. Essentially, the app functions as a sticker reward chart. It has been very successful for us, where the star stickers failed because my kid is just plain DIFFICULT. Time out, spanking, talking it out, and various other methods of discipline, punishment, and reward have not been as successful for us as Beep & Boop. When he completes a portion of his speech therapy or does his motor skills activities, he gets a Beep. That thrills him to pieces. If he gets a Boop, he fusses for a minute or two, when punishing him or rebuking him would send him to pieces for five minutes to an hour. I let Boop be the heavy and it takes the pressure off me. Our relationship has improved. He approaches his work and chores much less morosely now, and is even cheerful more and more frequently when I drag out the books or boxes.
blueyedbaker
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:07 PM

It was like that last year for my oldest. She doesn't want to go back to PS but she would complain about doing the work. If she'd just do it and get it done she'd have so much time to do the stuff she wants to do. Why can't they just see that?!! This year has been very smooth so far. She doesn't complain very much and my youngest has done very well in that department too!  I notice that when they are starting to get hungry they will start to complain about the work. Right after lunch is the best time. They are perky, and actually do their work without me telling them to.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:10 PM

He actually didn't fight me much yesterday. We took an easy day tonight. Did history and read a book. We also did a little bit of Math. Today is a busy day for me anyhow because I have speech therapy for my youngest son. It will all come together and all and all he hasn't been horrible. I am just stressed lately with all that is going on in my life. I know that he is doing well tho because he is in Scouts and there are 6 other boys his age and he is miles ahead of them in almost everything. Matt is the subject that we are behind in. I am trying not to fret it but I am. Thanks for the suggestions and I will try some of them. Hoping next year is easier as we will be in our own house (right now Hubby is deployed and we are staying with the inlaws) and doing our own things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)