Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT - favorite bread recipe?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have a bread maker I am borrowing, but I'd like tried and true recipes for both it and regular that aren't TOO time consuming. The ones I've found online and tried have been flops.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Honey whole wheat:

7/8 c water

1 1/2 Tablespoon veggie oil

3 Tablespoon honey

2 1/4 c whole wheat flour

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon yeast

Layer in bread maker and set for whole wheat

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Challah (Egg Bread)

1/2 c water

1 egg plus 1 yolk

2 Tablespoon veggie oil

2 c flour

1 Tablespoon sugar

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 teaspoon yeast

Layer in bread maker.  When add bell dings you can add 1 tablespoon poppy or sesame seeds.

lucsch
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Best investment I ever made was a pullman pan to make sandwich bread. It costs $25-$30, but I have not bought any bread since September. I mix the dough in my breadmaker and plop it into this pan and bake it in the oven. I use an electric knife and a slicing guide to get perfect thin sliced, square sandwich bread. :)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Thank you for both recipes! Does it cut well for sandwiches? The one I made was SO dense. It did cut well though. Just heavy! Lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Honey whole wheat:

7/8 c water

3 Tablespoon honey

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon yeast

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM
I'll look that up. Any certain recipe?

Quoting lucsch:

Best investment I ever made was a pullman pan to make sandwich bread. It costs $25-$30, but I have not bought any bread since September. I mix the dough in my breadmaker and plop it into this pan and bake it in the oven. I use an electric knife and a slicing guide to get perfect thin sliced, square sandwich bread. :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Is this te one? So many different sizes. http://www.amazon.com/USA-Pans-Pullman-Aluminized-Americoat/dp/B002UNMZPI

Quoting lucsch:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Yes, that is exactly like the one I ordered. It even tells me I ordered it.

I have varied this recipe all over the place to make different varieties of bread--using wheat, oat and rye flours. LOL Here is the basic recipe:

White Sandwich Bread

3 T powdered milk

3 T melted butter

3 T sugar

1-1/2 tsp salt

2-1/8 cups warm (not hot) water

4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp. SAF instant yeast (bought in bulk on amazon)

I run the 45 minute dough cycle on my 2 lb bread machine. The dough will be more sticky than most bread doughs. I let it raise in the breadmaker another 30 minutes. I lightly spray the pan and lid and pour the dough into the pan and punch it down. Put on the lid and leave in a warm place to rise almost up to the lid. Don't let it rise too much or it will squeeze out during baking and burn on the bottom of your oven (ask me how I know!). Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F. Bake bread with lid for 25 minutes. Remove lid and bake bread 10 minutes more. Remove from oven and cool on a rack. Makes 26 slices of 1/2" slices.

Quoting Boobah:

Is this te one? So many different sizes. http://www.amazon.com/USA-Pans-Pullman-Aluminized-Americoat/dp/B002UNMZPI

Quoting lucsch:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM

The challah recipe is fluffy even if you use coarse whole wheat it cuts well for sandwiches.  The honey whole wheat is a bit dense and VERY sweet.  We like it for breakfast and makes really really good french bread after it goes stale; but it sometimes crumbles (I have no idea why!)

Quoting Boobah:

Thank you for both recipes! Does it cut well for sandwiches? The one I made was SO dense. It did cut well though. Just heavy! Lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Honey whole wheat:

7/8 c water

3 Tablespoon honey

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon yeast

oredeb
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM

this one is my favorite, except i dont bake it in the bread maker just mix it up and knead it in there then i bake it in the oven but is so good! i have no idea how it would turn out in the bread machine if you baked it in there! i use my bread machine for mixing and raising. 

French Bread-bread machine

Small
Makes 1 loaf

2/3 c. water
2 c. flour
1t. salt
1 ½ t. yeast

Medium
Makes 2-3 small loaves

1 1/3 c. water
4 c. flour
1 ½ t. salt
1 ½ t. yeast

Large
Makes 3-4 loaves
2 1/8 c. water
6 c. flour
2 t. salt
2 t. yeast

1. Add the water to the bread machine pan. If the instructions for your machine specify that the yeast is to be placed in the pan first, reverse the order in which you add the liquid and dry ingredients.

2. Sprinkle over the flour, to cover the water. Add the salt in a corner. Make an indent in the center of the flour and add the yeast. Use the French bread dough setting or dough setting. Press start.

3. When the dough cycle has finished, remove the dough from the machine, place it on a lightly floured surface and knock it back(punch it down). Divide it into two or three equal portions if using the medium quantities or three or four portions if using the large quantities.

4. On a floured surface shape each piece of dough into a ball, then roll out to a rectangle measuring 18-20 x 7-8 x 3 in.. Fold one-third up lengthways and one- third down, then press. Repeat twice more, leaving the dough to rest between foldings to avoid tearing.

5. Gently roll and stretch each piece to a 11-13 in loaf, depending on whether you aim to make smaller or larger loaves. Place each loaf in a floured banneton(these are great, I use mine with other bread recipes also) or between the folds of a floured and pleated dishtowel, so that the French bread shape is maintained during rising.

6. Cover with lightly oiled clear film (plastic wrap) and leave in a warm place for 30-45 minute. Preheat the oven to 450 F degrees.

7. Roll the loaf or loaves on to a baking sheet, spaced well part. Slash the t

oredeb
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:29 AM

what brand of machine are you using nikki?

heres a couple more things i make in my bread machine and they work very well!!!   http://mykitchen-deb.blogspot.com/search/label/bread%20machine

my kitchen blog, theres about 4 recipes jusst keep scrolling down!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)