Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Verbal learning and hands on learning

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:15 AM
  • 5 Replies
3 moms liked this

I know this doesn't apply to all, but I was watching a video yesterday and it said (I won't quote it because I know I will mess it up, so doing the best I can with what I remember) that when children are being lectured they only retain approx. 8% of what they heard three days later, but when they had hands on experience, they retained approx. 80% of what they were told.  That was amazing to me.  I know that is the way I learn, hands on, but I never knew the numbers were so widespread.  I know my daughter is a hands on kind of kid and that is why we are doing a lot of websites, worksheets, games and experiments while learning.

Just thought this was interesting and wanted to share.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:12 AM
It is interesting. 8)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM

It is interesting. Thanks for sharing it. :)   I love when someone has learned something. I get to see the excitement and the joy of learning and that is sooo awesome to witness.  :)  

oredeb
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:43 AM

so true, also it does help if someone that is a visual learner  tells or narrates to someone what they heard in the lecture! i hve some visual learners and im one!

coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I am a hands on learner as is my youngest.  My oldest is more auditory.  We have to find what works for each of them.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM

It is a very interesting subject, leighp1

Workbooks, flashcards, lectures....the Conventional Method teaches to the left brain only.  But by physically involving children in the learning process  you are teaching to whole brain .  It is known as Total Physical Response, and studies show that children learn faster, retain more., drop out rates decrease by 90% (children retain their love for learning), and it improves the health of  the brain. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)