Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Decided on Curriculum for 2nd grade 7 year old

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:22 PM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: Is this good enough or do I need more?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 8

View Results

Ok we have decided on curriculum.

Math will be a mixture of 3rd Grade Complete Curriculum (by Harcourt press), Khan Academy, and education.com

Reading- will be from the library, she will pick out 2 books for school and 1 for herself a week.  1 will be non fiction, one will be a classic.  She will write a book on one book report a week. We will also use 3rd Grade Complete Curriculum for things like reading skills.

Grammer will also be done using 3rd Grade Complete Curriculum and http://www.sfreading.com/ghbgrd2.html

Spelling will be done using 3rd Grade Complete Curriculum and Spell City.

History- for this subject we will be using The Magic Tree House, encyclopidias and the libray.

Science- we are going to use the Magic School Bus for a base and do lots of experiments and the encyclopidia and the library

We are in California will this work for 2nd grade?  She is advanced so we need to work ahead of her actual grade level.  I have never homeschooled on my own always with a school to back me.  I do know I have to fill out a private school affidavit and that that is done in October?  I also know we have to cover the basics. 

Since my 4 year old refuses to potty train I will also have him and my 2 year old (3 by then).  They will join for science and history and I will use the stuff I have for kindergarten with them. Though my 3 year old will only join as she wants and my 4 year will only work maybe an hour a day.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM

hi debra , some handwriting? the rest sounds great!!! and i know nothing about calif hs law,

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Oh I forgot we are learning cursive so a letter a week till she gets it.  I will also be giving her 10 min. to write on a topic I give her. 

Oh and now my dd6 going into 1st has decided to stay home after all.  She will be doing the same thing just following the first grade complete curriculum book.  She will be doing the same science, history and the same thing for lit, handwriting, and so on.  I will probably add in more starfall for phonics. Though she is reading at a 1st grade level already I believe.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Sounds good to me.
I tried the link but it didn't work for me could just be my kindle.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I will post the link to my other post where someone gave me the site when I get home.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Sounds good to me.

amberstars
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Sounds good.  Are you going to include Geography?

Dragon, wife to Eagle.  Sister-wife to Swan and Rainbow.  Author, astronomer, world traveler, gamer, & reader.  Muslim revert.  In an inter-racial and cross-cultural marriage.

Dragon Eyes

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I dont think so next year other than pointing out where the country is that we are learning about thier history. They both did geography for kindergarten and we will do it the following year with a focus on California history.

Quoting amberstars:

Sounds good.  Are you going to include Geography?

kttycat84
by Bonnie on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Sounds great! I would probably add in some geography though....I was surprised to find out CA says public school students should know their city, state, country, continents and oceans by the end of 1st grade. You're right on about the affadavit being filed in October. You can file online too, which is really easy. And, you don't have to teach to state standards, but in case you want to make sure she's at grade level in every subject, here's a link: http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks.  I might have to add that in. My 7 year old knows those things.  She learned them in kindergarten.  I will probably need to rego over that with my 6 year old though she just doesnt seem to get it.

Quoting kttycat84:

Sounds great! I would probably add in some geography though....I was surprised to find out CA says public school students should know their city, state, country, continents and oceans by the end of 1st grade. You're right on about the affadavit being filed in October. You can file online too, which is really easy. And, you don't have to teach to state standards, but in case you want to make sure she's at grade level in every subject, here's a link: http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/

kttycat84
by Bonnie on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think I could tell the oceans apart until 7th grade or so. I got the Atlantic and Pacific before then, but that was about it, lol. I don't think I cared enough about it when I was younger than that, it just wasn't real to me...too far removed or something.

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thanks.  I might have to add that in. My 7 year old knows those things.  She learned them in kindergarten.  I will probably need to rego over that with my 6 year old though she just doesnt seem to get it.

Quoting kttycat84:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM

http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghbgrd2.html

Sorry it took me so long.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I will post the link to my other post where someone gave me the site when I get home.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Sounds good to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)