Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I started homeschooling... This is why.. Tell me if you would have done the same?!

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM
  • 21 Replies

I started homeschooling because the School my son went to wouldn't help him. He was failing math all 4 quarters last year, Failed science from second quarter on.. And by last quarter his social studies and Language arts was at 65's..

From week 5 on I begged for him to be put into remedial math for help.. NOPE.. The teacher kept saying "He just needs to try harder.." Each night we would do extra pages I printed off the computer from the Internet.. Because they didn't even have books.. She would simply print off ditto's for the class to work on..

I called a cse Meeting 3 times.. That didn't help either as they never communicated and atleast once canceled the meeting with out telling me or rescheduling one..

Then the final straw hit.. At the end of the the year I was sure they would hold him back so he could learn the material. NOPE! The teacher even told me.. I gave him the numerical grade so he could pass.. I WENT BELISTIC.. I wanted to punch her.. So they passed him from 3rd grade to 4th and guaranteed that he would not be able to do the work then either..

So I litterally went to the next PTA meeting told them in writing and passed out 100 packets to parents and teachers that were there on why the school failed my son and why I was pulling him from their care!

In the time since June..(I started him immediately in math to catchup) He has gone from 2nd grade comprehension of math - to doing some 6th grade work.. According to the public schools own testing... WHY? Because since my son had AN IEP.. They have used this to try to keep tabs on what I was teaching and how he was progressing. Under the guise that they were "worried about him falling behind." Which he had fallen behind with them.. so I know that is BULL CRAP!

But his reading comprehension has gone up..

His Social studies has been slowwww but in every other area he has made huge strides..

And I honestly like that they did the testing.. It proves to them that the problem wasn't with my son or me.. It was the school district screwing up!

I use www.clp.org

They are the christian version of Saxon .. I love the cyclical learning methods.. It ensures that the kids revisit each area frequently enough to not forget it..

Also I like the Language arts from clp.org..

SCIENCE AND READING from there aren't my favorite.. I like Christian Liberty Press's science and reading stuff!

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ruthmom802
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I am so glad you have made the switch. I don't think you'll regret it. You'll find a lot of support here.

I always dreamed of homeschooling my children... I didn't have any until I was 30... and I only have a little boy after several lost pregancies... But I am so thankful to the Lord that He has provided a way for me to stay home and home-educate! It's a blessing. 

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Welcome to the jungle! Lol. You will be so glad at the end of his childhood that you did this. Whether he is now or not, he will be thankful one day that you took control of his education. This is a big, generous step you've taken, and more parents should do it, IMO. Now your son can learn and feel a sense of accomplishment, rather than feel like a failure when the school was failing him. Good job!

The public school system was a miserable fit for my oldest, and I finally withdrew him in high school. My LO will be four in May, and we have started him off at home (with a program of speech and OT to address his ASD). If I have my way, he will never have to attend a B&M school, until college, if he wants to (I'm holding out hope that ALL college courses that are not for specialty degrees can be completed online by the time he grows up). I would have withdrawn my son from that school system in your shoes, for sure.
bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I think that you did the right thing by pulling him out and homeschooling.

zandizane
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM

My son was also getting left behind in public school. He is waaay behind in reading because of it. He has improved so much since I pulled him out in Nov. and he is now working with a tutor 2 days a week. I am hoping by the end of the year he will be reading at grade level (2nd). Glad homeschooling is working for your son too!

RockEducation
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Quoting bether89:

I think that you did the right thing by pulling him out and homeschooling.

I agree.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Yep and wouldn't have looked back either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JavaLadybug2
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks all..

Let me tell you.. The first 2 months was a battle of wills.. All my son could see was I was taking him away from his friends.. 

I am glad we are passed that.. 

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM
It was not the only reason but one of the many reasons I pulled my son from PS back 7 years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RyansMom001
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Good for you for taking the bull by the horns and not letting your son fall through the cracks.  

QueenCreole313
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM
You go mom! You did an amazing job fighting for your child! Most people won't! And making the sacrifice to educate him yourself is true dedication. No one can do better than a mom to educate because no one cares more!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)