Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I started homeschooling... This is why.. Tell me if you would have done the same?!

Posted by   + Show Post

I started homeschooling because the School my son went to wouldn't help him. He was failing math all 4 quarters last year, Failed science from second quarter on.. And by last quarter his social studies and Language arts was at 65's..

From week 5 on I begged for him to be put into remedial math for help.. NOPE.. The teacher kept saying "He just needs to try harder.." Each night we would do extra pages I printed off the computer from the Internet.. Because they didn't even have books.. She would simply print off ditto's for the class to work on..

I called a cse Meeting 3 times.. That didn't help either as they never communicated and atleast once canceled the meeting with out telling me or rescheduling one..

Then the final straw hit.. At the end of the the year I was sure they would hold him back so he could learn the material. NOPE! The teacher even told me.. I gave him the numerical grade so he could pass.. I WENT BELISTIC.. I wanted to punch her.. So they passed him from 3rd grade to 4th and guaranteed that he would not be able to do the work then either..

So I litterally went to the next PTA meeting told them in writing and passed out 100 packets to parents and teachers that were there on why the school failed my son and why I was pulling him from their care!

In the time since June..(I started him immediately in math to catchup) He has gone from 2nd grade comprehension of math - to doing some 6th grade work.. According to the public schools own testing... WHY? Because since my son had AN IEP.. They have used this to try to keep tabs on what I was teaching and how he was progressing. Under the guise that they were "worried about him falling behind." Which he had fallen behind with them.. so I know that is BULL CRAP!

But his reading comprehension has gone up..

His Social studies has been slowwww but in every other area he has made huge strides..

And I honestly like that they did the testing.. It proves to them that the problem wasn't with my son or me.. It was the school district screwing up!

I use www.clp.org

They are the christian version of Saxon .. I love the cyclical learning methods.. It ensures that the kids revisit each area frequently enough to not forget it..

Also I like the Language arts from clp.org..

SCIENCE AND READING from there aren't my favorite.. I like Christian Liberty Press's science and reading stuff!

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Replies (21-21):
lucsch
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM

We have used some of the books from Christian Liberty Press for social studies by using Heart of Dakota's curriculum. We don't use their recommendation for math. Instead, we use Christian Light Education. I agree it is the best! We love, love, love CLE's math!

Anyway, ANY reason is a good reason to homeschool!  Glad it is working out for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)