Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Getting a jump start on next year

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM
  • 7 Replies

this year she was 3/4 and weve done some homeschool preschool. It started out structured and then i kinda slacked but thats ok shes still learning. Next year she would be in 4 yr preschool but im not sending her im going to homeschool but would like to use kindergarten curriculum since shes ready for it. Any advice on kindergarten? Should i buy curriculum or do my own lesson plans? I'd like to get half the year if not all of it at least outlined before August/September when we start. She will be doing school 4 (maybe 5) days a week 2-3 hours a day depending on how quickly she gets her work done. The rest of her day is free play, we read, educational games on her Nabi, and crafts.

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:39 PM
I like Easy Peasy homeschool. She has it all laid out for you. That's what I'm going to be doing with my dd in August.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JocelynsMama1
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM

i deffinitely like the website thanks so much for introusing me to it. I'm actually going to start now with day 172 of the preschool which is where it starts to teach reading and try that with her and then i think ill use the kindergarten lessons starting in the begining of the school year...but I dont know if its teaching enough i feel like it wont fill all the time im wanting to and that it doesnt hit every subject. she starts to hit all subjects in 1st grade

Quoting mamamedic69:

I like Easy Peasy homeschool. She has it all laid out for you. That's what I'm going to be doing with my dd in August.

I'm a Breast Feeding, CIO, Spanking When Necessary, Early Potty Training, Stay At Home, Pageant Going, Gymnastics and Cheer Mom and Army Wife!

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM
You're welcome. We too are starting with day 172 as all the other stuff she pretty much knows. Glad I could help.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

i deffinitely like the website thanks so much for introusing me to it. I'm actually going to start now with day 172 of the preschool which is where it starts to teach reading and try that with her and then i think ill use the kindergarten lessons starting in the begining of the school year...but I dont know if its teaching enough i feel like it wont fill all the time im wanting to and that it doesnt hit every subject. she starts to hit all subjects in 1st grade

Quoting mamamedic69:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JocelynsMama1
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM

any other programs you all like?

JocelynsMama1
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I let her do 172 today and it worked she loved it and read the page...i feel like it mixes sight words with the ability to sound out words which i love...she will be reading in no time

Quoting mamamedic69:

You're welcome. We too are starting with day 172 as all the other stuff she pretty much knows. Glad I could help.

Quoting JocelynsMama1:

Quoting mamamedic69:

srichtermom
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM

My ds is 4 and we have been using the Abeka math curriculum and we really like it; I use the same company with my dd who is in 4th grade.  I only ordered him the math student workbook and he has really enjoyed it and learned a lot.  As for other subjects, I put more of my own curriculum together with books from the library or books we already own.  In the fall, he will be 5, so we are going to use a language arts workbook and do a bit more formal schooling.  You can dowload free language arts workbooks on this site if you think the style would work for your daughter:  http://www.sfreading.com/index.html  

We've used the same company's reading textbooks and really liked them.  Hope some of that helps!

JocelynsMama1
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I jsut looked up Abeka and its epensive for jsut a 4 year old...im not ready to spend that much money on the basics but thank you so much for the idea...and thanks for the language arts link

Quoting srichtermom:

My ds is 4 and we have been using the Abeka math curriculum and we really like it; I use the same company with my dd who is in 4th grade.  I only ordered him the math student workbook and he has really enjoyed it and learned a lot.  As for other subjects, I put more of my own curriculum together with books from the library or books we already own.  In the fall, he will be 5, so we are going to use a language arts workbook and do a bit more formal schooling.  You can dowload free language arts workbooks on this site if you think the style would work for your daughter:  http://www.sfreading.com/index.html  

We've used the same company's reading textbooks and really liked them.  Hope some of that helps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)