Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Special Needs?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM
  • 27 Replies

I was wondering if anyone else was homeschooling children with special needs? ADHD, Autistic, Aspbergers, Mood Disorders, physical needs, etc.

Just wanted to make sure I'm not alone.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irvinehiker
by Andrea on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

You certainly are not alone, there are several of us in this group hsing special needs.  I have 2 kiddos, one nero typical DD and an autistic DS.  This is my 5th year with him at home.  It hasn't always been easy.  However I know I can provide a positive learning environment for him.  :) 

Rust.n.Gears
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
My 15 year old is emotionally delayed

My 18 year old is legally blind

My 4 year old is autistic and legally deaf. So am I.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EnduringWon
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM

My daughter has VATERS Association.

So no, you are not alone. :)

MessedUpMama
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM
My DS has mild Cerebral Palsy, his hands don't always work the way he wants them to so writing is difficult most of the time. He has some issues with his mouth, tongue and drooling which has caused some problems when he is with other children. We think he might have other issues as well, but so far he doesn't quiet fit with any of the things they test for. He is also very very far sighted and has to wear thick glasses all the time. I also have a daycare girl with me 11 hours a day 5 days a week. She's fairly average as far as we can tell.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM
My middle DS has ADD and a mild nonspecific learning disability linked to his ADD. They can't decide if his comprehension issues are just ADD or something more but have ruled out dyslexia and vision problems.

I think DD had mild ADD as well but have never had her diagnosed.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:12 AM
I must add, as a Scoutmaster, I had a troop comprised of primarily special needs kids. I had boys with everything from ADHD to bipolar to low functioning autism. One being my nephew (bipolar,add, and intermittent explosive disorder. I've learned a lot over the years working with a variety of issues.
cathyeastman
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I am also homeschooling 3 children with Adhd, odd and dylexsia and might be light austism. it is hard and rough sometimes but homeschooling is the best choice to make for kids like these because no school system is ever going to understand that childs learning ways nor help that child succeed in life n in his/her future.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:22 AM

None of my children have special needs, but I home tutor many children diagnosed with ADHD, and one with Aspergers. 

wunderwifey
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:19 AM
I will be HS'ing 2 ADHD, one of which also has PTSD.
coala
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I have one that is emotionally "special needs" b/c of the trauma she has been dealt through the years (she is adopted).  She needs to have people near her that understand when she has the need to be close to someone.  A teacher just can't pull her in for a hug and have a good long talk with her when she REALLY needs it. 

I also have a 4 1/2 yo that can't sit still to save her life.  An actual school would want her labled as ADHD, but she doesn't fit what that truly is.  She just has to move....not a lot, but wiggle in her seat, fidget with a pencil, or "scrub" her butt on the floor (you know what I mean moving back and forth).  She learns best by being able to do this.  If she can't move she doesn't retain ANYTHING.   We do what works for our kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)