Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I was wondering if anyone else was homeschooling children with special needs? ADHD, Autistic, Aspbergers, Mood Disorders, physical needs, etc.

Just wanted to make sure I'm not alone.

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
Koltie6
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM
My six year old has asd. We homeschool our two older NT children. So we never considered school for him. I wouldn't send them so why would I send him . Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DesireMM
by Desire' on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM

My 8 yrs old is blind.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM

My youngest suffers from abdominal migraines, a weak immune system, and mental delays (although that has not yet been diagnosed.  She is more at a 6 year old level than 8).  My middle child has an anxiety disorder, mild OCD and bipolar.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM

How many moms out there would consider ADD and or ADHD a special needs challege?  

I am curious because we have never thought of it that way and all of our kids have one or the other and a few have a combination of both.  

wunderwifey
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:31 PM
We do because of the severity that our children have it. If it was more mild and not such a huge factor in our day to day activities then we wouldn't. I forget that DH is ADHD. I can't forget the girls are. If we don't stick to their schedule and their meds then life is turned upside down.

Quoting kirbymom:

How many moms out there would consider ADD and or ADHD a special needs challege?  

I am curious because we have never thought of it that way and all of our kids have one or the other and a few have a combination of both.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Thank you for telling me your opinion. If I may ask, how often do your girls have to take medicine? 

Quoting wunderwifey:

We do because of the severity that our children have it. If it was more mild and not such a huge factor in our day to day activities then we wouldn't. I forget that DH is ADHD. I can't forget the girls are. If we don't stick to their schedule and their meds then life is turned upside down.

Quoting kirbymom:

QueenCreole313
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it can be a learning difference in a flexible learning environment. But in a conventional school setting definitely a disability.

Quoting kirbymom:

wunderwifey
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:15 PM
They take one dose in the morning guaranteed. If we're having a particularly bad day we have a supplemental dose we can do. We try not to do that one unless its super bad or we have something going on late in the day/evening that we need them to be calm and focused for.

Quoting kirbymom:

Thank you for telling me your opinion. If I may ask, how often do your girls have to take medicine? 

Quoting wunderwifey:

Quoting kirbymom:

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:17 PM

My middle daughter has aspergers, add, OCD and spd and we homeschool.

maggiemom2000
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM

You are not alone! Aspergers over here :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN