Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

DCG is having a hard time with reading. She is finally understanding that words are made of several sounds, and that each letter has a sound or sounds it makes. But she isn't getting the visual aspects of language. She knows most of her letters, and some of their sounds, but if she sees a word that starts with a ca she will always guess "cat", if she sees a word that ends with it she will always guess "sit" even when we have sounded out the words she will still just guess when asked to read it. It's so frustrating for me and for her. She doesn't get phonics, and I'm lost on how to help her. Anyone have any ideas?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Replies (11-13):
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:16 PM
The phonics program did not work for my oldest. He struggled for a long time until I found 'teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons' that helped so much. He was behind in reading and is now a head of where he should be!
The program also worked will for my second child. She picked up reading easily and could probably have been ok with any of the programs. I'm planning to use it with my third child as well. Plus the price isn't bad at all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MessedUpMama
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Thank you. You arethe second person to recommend that book. I am going to have to go look for it now, it sounds like it might be something we could use.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

The phonics program did not work for my oldest. He struggled for a long time until I found 'teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons' that helped so much. He was behind in reading and is now a head of where he should be!
The program also worked will for my second child. She picked up reading easily and could probably have been ok with any of the programs. I'm planning to use it with my third child as well. Plus the price isn't bad at all.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:46 AM
You're Welcome. :)
I always make sure to recommend that book. It helped my son more than I can say. I can still remember sitting with him completely in tears while we were trying to do the phonics programs. So glad we found 100 easy lessons.
Plus it is cheap..so even if it doesn't work for your child, it wont be a large financial loss. :) oh and check ebay, there is always a bunch of them on there.

Quoting MessedUpMama:

Thank you. You arethe second person to recommend that book. I am going to have to go look for it now, it sounds like it might be something we could use.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)